• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AllanA

AllanA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:15 PM

I needed to revert some files to regain some lost settings. While everything works as it should post revert and even though I submitted those changes again to the Depot each time I choose Get Latest the reverted files are overwritten, recreating the problem. Further, I have a submission pending (38 files) that I simply cannot explain.

I'd like to know how to prevent the depot from overwriting the reverted files and also how to stop the mysterious pending submit before it can do more damage.

Thank you in advance

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:34 PM

Could you please describe exactly what commands you ran?  If you "revert" followed by "submit" then nothing should get submitted (since after you revert there will not be any files open).

Or failing that, explaining exactly what you were trying to accomplish would be helpful.  Were you trying to revert your local changes?  The changes from the latest revision in the depot?  What are you trying to have as the end result in your workspace and in the depot?

It's also not clear how this is "stopping" a pending submission -- are you reverting files from inside a trigger?  That's guaranteed to leave the submitting client in a bad state unless your trigger can force the client to refresh its files afterward.  if your goal is to stop the submit you should just have the trigger return a failure and leave the files open.

#3 AllanA

AllanA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:53 AM

View PostSambwise, on 08 February 2017 - 10:34 PM, said:

Could you please describe exactly what commands you ran?  If you "revert" followed by "submit" then nothing should get submitted (since after you revert there will not be any files open).

Or failing that, explaining exactly what you were trying to accomplish would be helpful.  Were you trying to revert your local changes?  The changes from the latest revision in the depot?  What are you trying to have as the end result in your workspace and in the depot?

It's also not clear how this is "stopping" a pending submission -- are you reverting files from inside a trigger?  That's guaranteed to leave the submitting client in a bad state unless your trigger can force the client to refresh its files afterward.  if your goal is to stop the submit you should just have the trigger return a failure and leave the files open.

The matter was easily resolved once I had all the information. I had to back out a pending revision and rollback several specific files. There are no jobs pending to or from the depot at this time and the project is in a slightly earlier state (not exactly the greatest but easily fixable).

#4 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:21 PM

I'm still extremely confused about what you were trying to do (mostly because you say you were trying to roll back changes but then you say that the fact that changes got rolled back is not ideal -- wat?), but if you're in the state you were trying to get to that's good news!

FWIW if you're trying to roll back submitted changes in the future I highly recommend the new "p4 undo" command.  :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: revert, submit, cancel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users