Visual Studio 2017 has been released. When can we expect the plugin?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Rogers

Doug Rogers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:16 PM

Do you have a release date for the plugin?

#2 LTAcosta

LTAcosta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:52 PM

They said they were waiting until the VS release until they made the plugin available: http://forums.perfor...-studio-2017rc/

However, they never responded to the question of whether or not it would be available on day one. It was available on day one for VS 2015, but VS 2017 requires some work in order to port extensions.

Hopefully it doesn't take too long :)

#3 p4rfong

p4rfong

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 299 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:50 PM

We are working on Visual Studio 2017, but we don't have a release date yet.  I'd like you to try a possible workaround if you are getting a "This extension is already installed to all applicable products" error.
  • Download p4vs11.vsix from our ftp site
  • Rename p4vs11.vsix to p4vs11.zip
  • Double click on the p4vs11.zip file
  • From the p4vs11.zip folder, copy the extension.vsixmanifest file to your Desktop
  • Edit your Desktop extension.vsixmanifest file by replacing Version="14.0" with Version="15.0"
  • Copy back your modified extension.vsixmanifest file to the p4vs11.zip folder
  • Rename p4vs11.zip to p4vs11.vsix
After double-clicking your modified p4vs11.vsix file, see if the installation of P4VS works.

#4 pjsamuel3

pjsamuel3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:52 AM

UPDATE: the above instructions do work, follow them exactly and do not rename the file anything else! See below for details.

I tried a hack described here but it did not work. In fact Visual Studio failed to load (Unknown Error) and I had to remove the plugin manually.

Until you support VS 2017, I can’t use the latest version of Visual Studio.

Edited by pjsamuel3, 10 March 2017 - 12:08 PM.

#5 p4rfong

p4rfong

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 299 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:59 PM

Thanks for trying the workaround.  We are working on a supported version of P4VS for Visual Studio 2017.

#6 pjsamuel3

pjsamuel3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:07 PM

I've discovered what I did wrong: I named the file p4vs17.vsix not p4vs11.vsix as instructed above. This caused my error.

I can now confirm the above instructions worked for me.

Sorry for any confusion caused.

#7 p4rfong

p4rfong

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:17 PM

Glad to hear that it worked!  Thanks for following up.

#8 apoblock

apoblock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:54 PM

Is this really an official position of the Perforce Software? A month after the release of VS2017 you're asking users to manually "crack" the previous version of the plugin? :(

View Postp4rfong, on 08 March 2017 - 05:50 PM, said:

We are working on Visual Studio 2017, but we don't have a release date yet.  I'd like you to try a possible workaround if you are getting a "This extension is already installed to all applicable products" error.
  • Download p4vs11.vsix from our ftp site
  • Rename p4vs11.vsix to p4vs11.zip
  • Double click on the p4vs11.zip file
  • From the p4vs11.zip folder, copy the extension.vsixmanifest file to your Desktop
  • Edit your Desktop extension.vsixmanifest file by replacing Version="14.0" with Version="15.0"
  • Copy back your modified extension.vsixmanifest file to the p4vs11.zip folder
  • Rename p4vs11.zip to p4vs11.vsix
After double-clicking your modified p4vs11.vsix file, see if the installation of P4VS works.

#9 p4rfong

p4rfong

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:09 PM

No, this is a temporary workaround.  We want you to be able use Visual Studio 2017 now instead of waiting for our QA and release procedures to complete.

#10 MichaelK

MichaelK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:42 PM

> No, this is a temporary workaround.  We want you to be able use Visual Studio 2017 now instead of waiting
> for our QA and release procedures to complete.
I believe there is no need to wait for a QA department nowadays. According to this page https://www.visualst...vs2017-relnotes MS does not test it's Visual Studio at all -- four releases per month, it would be just impossible even with their resources. And no, you will not scare or astonish us with a beta quality product. The times of p4Win and the indestructible p4VS plug-in of that period are gone...

P.S. By the way I have to type this in the notepad because it looks like that your forum's form does not work properly in IE11.

#11 euwe

euwe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:00 PM

View Postp4rfong, on 03 April 2017 - 05:09 PM, said:

No, this is a temporary workaround.  We want you to be able use Visual Studio 2017 now instead of waiting for our QA and release procedures to complete.
---------
I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate that you went to the trouble to provide a work-around. It was such a relief to see that there was a way to do this. Using 2017 is a real pleasure, and it would be such a shame to have to switch IDEs to check in my changes. This plug-in is a real time-saver!

#12 PompeyPaul

PompeyPaul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:17 AM

Hello. I tried the above instructions, and it seemed to install OK, plus Visual Studio starts up but I can't see perforce offered anywhere within Visual Studio 2017. Where should I see it appear?

#13 p4rfong

p4rfong

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 299 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:44 PM

To find the P4VS plugin, start Visual Studio, then go to  Help, About Microsoft Visual Studio, and scroll down and look for P4VS (it is not in alphabetical order).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users