• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AhiyaHiya

AhiyaHiya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:03 PM

I started using the latest P4V (VERSION P4V/MACOSX1011X86_64/2017.1/1491634) and for the first day, it worked fine. However, the next day that I went to use it, I get the following error:

Connect to server failed; check $P4PORT.
Execution Failed: /private/var/folders/95/3dtgzj5d12qd1g2_bt50c_k80000gn/T/AppTranslocation/58C7D896-B0C8-413F-AD0E-51488F393C7B/d/p4v.app/Contents/Resources/DVCS/p4d -r "/Users/jaimerios/Development/Perforce/Atlas_local/.p4root" -i: No such file or directory

Looking online, I found that the issue may be related to GateKeeper (a macOS feature) and used AppCleaner.app to remove the P4V app and it's related files.

When I went to relaunch the app, it worked fine and I thought I had resolved the issue.

However, the problem occurred again this morning. When I check the path, listed above in AppTranslocation, the folder is empty.

So, how does one go about fixing this issue?

#2 P4Jen

P4Jen

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:23 PM

Hi,

If you have not already done so, I suggest re-installing P4V, then right-clicking on it and selecting the
'Open' option.

If Gate Keeper is the problem then it should no-longer monitor/control the application when you open it in
the future.

Hope this helps,
Jen.

#3 AhiyaHiya

AhiyaHiya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:54 PM

Hi Jen,
I tried your suggestion and although the app launches fine the first time, the second time I launch P4V.app, I get the following error:

"Unable to connect to the server rsh:/private/var/folders/95/3dtgzj5d12qd1g2_bt50c_k80000gn/T/AppTranslocation/F075E1AF-35FF-41EB-B838-704AAEB1824B/d/p4v.app/Contents/Resources/DVCS/p4d -r "/Users/jaimerios/Development/Perforce/Atlas_local/.p4root" -i as user 'jaimerios'

Would you like to run P4V without a connection?"

#4 AhiyaHiya

AhiyaHiya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:00 PM

Hi Jen,
The more I thought about this, I wondered if explicitly telling GateKeeper to trust /Applications/p4v.app would resolve the issue.

I followed the steps on (http://www.theinstru...amentals-part-2) to explicitly tell GateKeeper to trust p4v.app, but this didn't work either.

#5 Matt Janulewicz

Matt Janulewicz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:30 PM

Just a thought, I may be wrong, but the path above looks to be indicating that it's looking for a local DVCS server which no longer exists. You might try launching p4v.app on the commandline with a legitimate '-p <port> -c <client> -u <user>' argument.

It may be that 'open connection dialog on launch' is disabled so you're not getting an opportunity to choose a new server to connect to.

Maybe ...?
-Matt Janulewicz
Staff SCM Engineer, Perforce Administrator
Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
1275 Market St.
San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
majanu@dolby.com

#6 AhiyaHiya

AhiyaHiya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:19 PM

Responding to Matt, I am not sure I understand your reasoning: if the DVCS, hypothetically, no longer exists, wouldn't I also have problems when I use p4 at the command line?

#7 Matt Janulewicz

Matt Janulewicz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

Nope, not necessarily. P4V doesn't get its initial launch settings from the commandline. In a shell it's going to be environment variables or P4CONFIG files that determine settings, by default I think P4V uses the settings from the previous connection.

I feel like I've never run into this with 'vanilla' perforce and a different dialog comes up if you remove your workspace or workspace root and launch P4V.

Confirmed. I just created a bogus non-DVCS workspace, set Preferences->Connections to "Restore all previously opened connections" and at launch it brings up a dialog that says "Workspace 'blah blah' does not exist." and gracefully loads a workspace I had connected to previous to that. I'm wondering if the last workspace that was connected was DVCS, maybe it doesn't have a graceful route to exit the error condition.

One other idea might be to look in ~/Library/Preferences/com.perforce.p4v/ApplicationSettings.xml and ditch the LastConnection and/or LastDvcsConnection settings. Maybe ...?
-Matt Janulewicz
Staff SCM Engineer, Perforce Administrator
Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
1275 Market St.
San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
majanu@dolby.com

#8 AhiyaHiya

AhiyaHiya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:29 PM

Hi Matt,
I modified the above listed ApplicationSettings.xml, by removing both settings you listed as well as an additional LastRemote setting. I relaunched the app, following the same steps that I described above and I got the same error (described above).

I did notice that the XML file updated and the entries I had commented out were removed.

I should point out that the folder I am pointing p4v.app to is the same one I have been having issues with, meaning, that I haven't downloaded a fresh copy of the depot to my local machine (from my shared server).

As part of this testing procedure, should I be using a fresh copy of the depot? (cloning a fresh copy from the shared server?)

#9 AlexH

AlexH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:04 AM

I also encountered this issue exactly.

I was able to resolve it by closing P4V, deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.perforce.p4v/ and reopening.  This solved the issue for all subsequent launches of P4V as well.

#10 AhiyaHiya

AhiyaHiya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:05 PM

Thanks AlexH; I use your workaround now for every time I start up pv4.

Hopefully the Perforce team is reading this and will fix this defect.

#11 p4rfong

p4rfong

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 299 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for bringing this to our attention on this Mac OS X 10.12 issue with P4V 2017.1.  Our developer will have a look at it.

#12 AhiyaHiya

AhiyaHiya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:32 PM

Update; although the above listed fix, deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.perforce.p4v/, seemed to work in the beginning, that is no longer the case with the latest p4v.app I'm using: P4V/MACOSX1011X86_64/2017.2/1535556

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: macOS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users