• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KGraus

KGraus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:07 PM

I've been using streams for a while now, and things have been mostly working great.  A few days ago I attempted to merge code down from our main development stream to my personal development stream.  The Streams view shows the green down arrow indicating there are changes that need to be merged.  I get the Merge/Integrate dialog, and the default options all seem correct:

Merge method: Stream to stream
Source stream: dev
Target stream: dev_grausk

When I click merge, I get the following in the log:

p4 changes -s pending -l -m 100 -u grausk -c grausk.mac.segmentor_stream.dev_grausk
p4 changes -s pending -l -m 100 -u grausk -c grausk.mac.segmentor_stream.dev_grausk
    Can't update multiple streams with single command.
    no files opened
    1 error reported
    Can't update multiple streams with single command.
p4 change -o
p4 change -d 40553
p4 change -o
    Change 40553 deleted.

I've been unable to find any information about this error.  I am able to merge other streams with no issues.  Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1175 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

Sounds like something might be unusual about your dev stream?  My blind guess, not being able to see the stream spec, is that you've got some import+ funny stuff.

Weird that the actual "p4 merge" command doesn't show up in the log.  I'd try doing this from the command line:

p4 switch dev_grausk
p4 merge --from dev

and see if the same error happens there.

#3 KGraus

KGraus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:29 PM

I am doing an import+ to bring in a directory of shared code.  Never had this problem before with several other streams that also do an import+ (and this stream worked fine until a few days ago).

I tried using p4 to manually enter the commands, but being a complete command line novice (I've always just used p4v, never touched p4 before) I can't seem to get it working.

Doing a
p4 switch dev_grausk
gives me: unknown - use 'client' command to create it.

Like I said, probably something stupid I'm doing wrong...

#4 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1175 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:49 PM

My guess is that what's changed is that some of the files in your import+ have changed (meaning they're eligible for merge) and so now a merge operation needs to update files across multiple streams.  I'm not sure offhand how to deal with this (other than avoiding import+ like the plague) but here's what I'd try, in roughly this order:

1) Do it from the command line (in case P4V is being a hypochondriac)
2) Do the merge in pieces (i.e. merge and submit the import+ path, then do the rest)
3) Do the merge for the import+ path in the context of the stream the files actually belong to

All of this is IMO way easier from the command line.  From the error you got it sounds like your environment wasn't set up right -- did you launch the command prompt from within P4V?  (That should set it up with connection settings that match P4V's, which is probably what you want.)

#5 KGraus

KGraus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:34 PM

Thanks again for the response.
  • We always merge the shared (import+) streams separately, and in this case there is no merging that needs to be done.
  • I removed all uses of import+ from the stream specs for the entire depot, and am still getting the same error.
  • Finally got p4 working - getting the same error message when I do p4 merge --from dev: Can't update multiple streams with single command.

#6 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1175 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:12 PM

Be nice if that error message said which files/paths it's trying to update so it'd be easier to filter them out... :\

Try this:

p4 merge --from dev //stream/dev_grausk/...

so that you're explicitly saying that you only want to update files that live in the stream's depot path.

#7 KGraus

KGraus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:05 PM

Hi Sambwise -

Exact same error when I specify the stream.  It kind of sounds like its time to contact perforce support and see if they can shed some light on it.

Thank you for the help though!

#8 KGraus

KGraus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 04:21 PM

Resolution to this problem - upgrading the server to the latest version has made this issue go away (we were using a version about 6 months old).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: streams, error

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users