• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SeanT

SeanT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:49 AM

Is there any way to disable users from having to always "Write a changelist description:" when submitting a changelist or individual file?

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:04 PM

Since the server only rejects the default description of "<enter description here>", set up a form-out trigger on changelists that prepopulates the change description with something else.

E.g.:

Triggers:
  autodesc form-out change "sed -i -e %quote%s/<enter description here>/blah blah blah/%quote% %formfile%"

#3 SeanT

SeanT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:16 PM

Excellent, that works exactly how i wanted it to, thank you very much.

I haven't come across the triggers before, i guess they can be quite powerful with regards to customising P4

#4 Matt Janulewicz

Matt Janulewicz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:02 PM

A curious mind might ask why one would want to submit code and not describe what it does ... :)
-Matt Janulewicz
Staff SCM Engineer, Perforce Administrator
Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
1275 Market St.
San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
majanu@dolby.com

#5 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:59 PM

View PostMatt Janulewicz, on 28 March 2017 - 05:02 PM, said:

A curious mind might ask why one would want to submit code and not describe what it does ... :)

I had the same question but figured that after a month or two of having all changelist descriptions consist of "blah blah blah" they'd see the appeal of required change descriptions on their own.  :)

#6 SeanT

SeanT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:51 AM

View PostMatt Janulewicz, on 28 March 2017 - 05:02 PM, said:

During development of our slot games we don't really need to keep track of what changes are made and who made them, only when the game has been released do we need to track it and this is for regulation purposes to allow us to self certify the changes.

Our changelist description now says "Development" rather than "blah blah blah"

#7 SeanT

SeanT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:58 PM

View PostSambwise, on 28 March 2017 - 02:04 PM, said:

Since the server only rejects the default description of "<enter description here>", set up a form-out trigger on changelists that prepopulates the change description with something else.

E.g.:

Triggers:
autodesc form-out change "sed -i -e %quote%s/<enter description here>/blah blah blah/%quote% %formfile%"

If you are using this with a windows perforce server you may find, as we have, that you have thousands of temporary files that sed has left behind such as sedVhu7f. This is a bug in sed, we now use this instead:

Triggers:
autodesc form-out change "powershell -Command %quote%&{ (get-content %formfile%).replace('<enter description here>', 'Development' ) | set-content %formfile% }%quote%"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users