• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AhiyaHiya

AhiyaHiya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:32 PM

In a separate thread, I had encountered a problem when I updated my personal perforce server to the latest version.

I performed the update to get the ArchiveLimits feature, which is not available in the version of p4d I was running.

So, to get me back to a runnable state, I attempted to uninstall the 2016.x version of helix-p4d and install the 2015.2 version (both of which I used apt-get).

However, in attempting to do so, I think I royally messed up my installation of p4d.

Is there a document, or resource, listing how to properly uninstall/reinstall helix-p4d on ubuntu (Debian)?

I plan to get to 2016.2, but in trying to reinstall 2016.2, I cannot start my service due to errors like:

sudo -u perforce p4dctl start myservice
p4dctl error:
Configuration for "myservice" p4d has a conflicting parameter "P4PORT".
Started 0 services.
p4dctl error:
Not all services started successfully.

I tried running "sudo /opt/perforce/sbin/configure-helix-p4d.sh" but this didn't seem to help.

Thanks!

#2 Matt Janulewicz

Matt Janulewicz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:14 PM

If I'm reading this right, did you upgrade the db to 2016, then point 2015.2 at the same set of db files? If so, that's you're problem. Once you upgrade, you're 'stuck' at that version, there's no way that I know of to downgrade a db without regenerating it from a checkpoint (that was made with 2015.2.)

Although, that 'conflicting parameter' error looks weird. That's not a p4d message, it's from the service. I'm wondering if it's set twice, or if there's a stuck thread, or if it really is part of the downgrade problem and the service is interpreting the error message in a weird way.
-Matt Janulewicz
Currently unemployed, looking for work in Boise, ID!

#3 AhiyaHiya

AhiyaHiya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:46 PM

I rebooted the server, in case of a stuck thread, but I see that the service won't start:

sudo -u perforce p4dctl start myservice
p4dctl error:
Configuration for "myservice" p4d has a conflicting parameter "P4PORT".
Started 0 services.
p4dctl error:
Not all services started successfully.

So, now I need to hunt down where these settings may be.

Can you give me any pointers prior to me hunting the internet for answers?

Thanks! :)

#4 AhiyaHiya

AhiyaHiya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:45 PM

Well, I got helix back up and running... I think...

There were 2 things I had to do.

1. Get rid of an old service that I had configured, but wasn't in use, named service-name
     (located in /etc/perforce/p4dctl.conf.d/service-name.conf)

2. Find dangling instances of symlinks to perforce/helix using 'sudo grep -rnw /etc/ -e "myservice"'

Here are some of the files that were removed:

$ sudo rm /etc/rc6.d/K20perforce-p4dctl
$ sudo rm /etc/rc3.d/S20perforce-p4dctl
$ sudo rm /etc/rc2.d/S20perforce-p4dctl
$ sudo rm /etc/rc0.d/K20perforce-p4dctl
$ sudo rm /etc/rc5.d/S20perforce-p4dctl
$ sudo rm /etc/rc4.d/S20perforce-p4dctl

After that, I removed the service:
$ sudo apt-get remove helix-p4d

Then reinstalled it:
sudo apt-get install -f helix-p4d

Things looked good, but before I was able to start the service, I had to do the following command:
$ sudo -u "perforce" "/opt/perforce/sbin/p4d" -r "/opt/perforce/servers/myservice" -J "journal" -xu

The above listed command was printed by the helix installer after the install finished and I got an error in the log about the database needing to be updated:
$ sudo nano /opt/perforce/servers/myservice/log

Perforce server error:
        Database is at old upgrade level 23.  Use 'p4d -r /opt/perforce/servers/myservice -xu' to upgrade to level 26.

So, the service was able to start and I can 'p4 info' and get data back from the server.

And now onto ... the aftermath?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ubuntu, Debian, linux, install, uninstall, reinstall, helix-p4d

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users