1 reply to this topic

#1 captainPOC

captainPOC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:55 AM

Hi,

I am trying to Branch a depot so I can target PC instead of iOS. I right click the Depot and press branch files. I enter "_PC" on the end of the target name and press branch. I get the error "//Projectname_PC... -must refer to client "MyoldiOSworkspacename".

I am worried that if I refer to my old workspace as the target, as the error suggests, surely the new branch will be referencing the wrong, iOS, workspace. If one is supposed to make the PC workspace before branching so it can be targeted why isn't this mentioned in the help doc on branching?

Can anyone explain in plain English the way to branch a depot? All the docs and training material presumes a level of understanding and/or command line control that I do not have.

I am very disappointed in the amount/quality of entry level training material. Would love a youtube channel of "artist" friendly entry level training material right now.

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1149 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:35 PM

When you enter a path, the top level //NAMESPACE needs to be either a depot or your current workspace (if it's your current workspace, the view is used to translate it into a depot path).  The error message is cryptic because it assumes that if you didn't use a depot name, you were trying to use a workspace, and so it tells you that you need to use YOUR workspace, not someone else's.

Anyway -- what you want to do is create a new depot.  You can do this via the admin tool in P4V (you need to be a superuser), or via the command line by running "p4 depot Projectname_PC".  Once the depot exists you can popular it by branching the other depot's contents into it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: P4V, Branching, Branch, error, must refer to client, target platofrm, unity3d, iOS, PC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users