• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kobaltic

kobaltic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:49 AM

Another person on my team created a workspace. I cannot connect to it. When I go to switch to workspace and change it to his. I get this error:

This workspace cannot be used on this computer either because the host field does not match your computer name or the workspace root cannot be used on this computer.

How can I fix this?

Thanks

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:23 PM

That error message is saving you from a world of pain, trust me.  :)  Create your own workspace on your own computer.  

Trying to share a workspace with someone else (particularly if it's on another computer) is a complete nightmare; they're not designed to be shared at all, which is why each workspace has a Host field by default and there's error checking in place to keep you from accidentally using a workspace from the wrong host machine.  You share files by submitting them to the depot from your own workspaces and then syncing them down. Perforce's job is to keep you in sync and gracefully handle conflicts as part of that syncing process.  If you're sharing one workspace you almost might as well not be using Perforce.

#3 Matt Janulewicz

Matt Janulewicz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:48 PM

What Sam said, plus note that you can share in-progress work without submitting it by using shelves.
-Matt Janulewicz
Currently unemployed, looking for work in Boise, ID!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: workspace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users