1 reply to this topic

#1 mertcanb

mertcanb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:45 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm a Unity developer, and we've recently received a request from one of our remote consultants to set up a Perforce connection through VPN to share our project on so that they can work on their own implementation.

We are complete beginners regarding VCS, and the more I've tried to dive into Perforce + Unity, the more complicated & confusing it got. I've googled, watched YouTube videos, but I feel like I still can't wrap my head around some fundamentals of this process. I'm trying to set this up with an existing project which is around 5 GB.

If I understood correctly, there are multiple ways to achieve Perforce version control through Unity:

1: Setup P4V, select "Visible Meta Files" under Unity version control, continue on P4V
2: Setup P4V, select "Perforce" under Unity version control, continue on Unity
3: Setup P4V, setup P4Connect in Unity, continue on Unity

I've tried all three, had millions of errors trying to check files out. I'm not sharing the errors as I know I've missed an important part of the setup. I've uninstalled everything regarding Perforce, and now I'm trying to set it up correctly.

I know this looks extremely general, but I could not put together the bits and pieces of information and tutorials on the internet. I just need someone experienced to show me some links that successfully demonstrates this process to a beginner.

Thank you all in advance.

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:39 AM

I'm not sharing the errors as I know I've missed an important part of the setup.

And you're positive there's no chance the errors might provide a clue as to what part was missed?  :)

You don't have to post all of them, but even seeing one of them will probably narrow things down significantly.  Errors from P4V are likely to be a bit more helpful (Perforce-specific) than errors from Unity; better yet if you've tried using the p4 command line, errors from there tend to be the most specific/verbose.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: unity, perforce, vpn, p4v, p4connect

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users