Issue creating a 2nd depot on server. File(s) not under client view.

p4v depots error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LinkDow2

LinkDow2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:22 PM

Hi there,

I'm doing my best to properly understand and use perforce so forgive my ignorance as I'm still learning.

Here is the issue I'm having. Currently we have a depot and files mapped to it for one of our games (all is well here). Now, I'm trying to create a second depot on the server and connect a new work space to it that is only associated with this new depot (another game project). However, I don't know how to add files to the new depot on the server. I try to associate the files (mark them for add) and I always get this error, File(s) not under client view. I feel like this is such a simple thing but I don't understand how to set it up properly. I'm sure its really straightforward but I cant seem to find a single step by step tutorial on how to set up a second depot and its subsequent mappings on the same server.

Can anyone step in here and straighten me out? Maybe quick step by step?

#2 LinkDow2

LinkDow2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:13 PM

Update: I walked through everything with a more competent perforce user, and hes stumped. I even tried reinstalling everything via the perforce installation instructions/setup and I get this error. I'm stumped here...

Posted Image

#3 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1038 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:38 PM

All you need to do is update your client view.  Installing a whole new server is not necessary.

Run "p4 client".  Currently it probably looks like this:

//depot/... //myclient/...

Change it to map your new depot as well as the old one:

//depot/... //myclient/depot/...
   //depot2/... //myclient/depot2/...

Now you can add new files under "depot2".

You can also map the new depot INSTEAD OF the old one, or subsets of both, etc.

#4 P4Reg

P4Reg

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:59 PM

If you have created the new depot already it sounds like you might just need to create the top level workspace root folder and cpy the files you want to add under that location and add them.

For example I just created a new depot called reg1 and created a new client to just map that depot in the client view. The client root is  C:\Users\Reg\Perforce\reg_reg-win8_5714 which does not exist yet  (normally for a populated depot it gets automatically created the first time the workspace is sync'd so this situation only really happens with a new, empty depot)

So from P4V, Connection->Edit current connection, for whatever folder you have set for your workspace root, create it manually (e.g. from windows explorer)
You should now be able to copy the files you want to add under that workspace root folder in explorer and add them in P4V (you may need to refresh the P4V Workspace tree if you can't see them right after copying them to the workspace).

Where they go in the depot depends on your view mapping, for example my view mapping is

//newdepot/... //reg_reg-win8_5714/newdepot/...

So if I copy a file under the client root in the relative location I want to put it in the depot , for example:

C:\Users\Reg\Perforce\reg_reg-win8_5714\newdepot\folder1\file.txt

When I add it will be located at //newdepot/folder1/file.txt in the depot

Hope that makes sense

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: p4v, depots, error

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users