• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 biro

biro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:15 AM

The ubuntu server running our perforce server was updated, now the p4d service won't start, it says:
Perforce Server starting...
but nothing happens, I have no idea where to start to fix this.
I assume our setup would be whatever the most basic configuration would be where we have a dedicated machine to run the server and all clients connect to this one ubuntu machine to get and commit.
I'll be completely honest, we struggled to get it up and running in the first place, we're a very small outfit and our tech skills aren't fantastic when running and configuring things from CLI so please be clear and patient with any responses.
The server was run with a general
apt-get update upgrade dist-upgrade
where the person didn't fully realise that this also updates the perforce software.
Whenever I try to connect through either the p4v client or p4admin it takes it's time to respond but then comes back with
unable to connect
, as if nothing was there in the first place.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1038 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:25 AM

If when you run p4d it exits and you don't see an error message, check the log file (which is where error messages get redirected).  That ought to tell you why it's not starting.  My guess is that the update changed your IP and invalidated the license file.

#3 P4Jen

P4Jen

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 03:30 PM

Hi,

By default the log file will be in your Perforce Server's root directory (where the db.* and depot files live).

I believe the P4ROOT directory for a server installed and setup using the Ubuntu packages, will be:
  /opt/perforce/servers/<ServerName>

If you would like more hands-on support and you have, or are able to purchase a support contract, you can contact Perforce
technical support.

Their details are here:
  https://www.perforce.com/support

Hope this helps,
Jen!

#4 biro

biro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:18 AM

Thanks for the feedback, the network runs off of statically assigned IP addresses and I've checked to make sure that the address is what it's meant to be through other means.
I've checked the log and the last entry is just after the server was updated with this:
Perforce server error:
Database is at old upgrade level 26.  Use 'p4d -r /[location]/P4 -xu' to upgrade to level 28.
I ran that command and it fixed everything, thanks for you assistance, I will now immediately figure out how to do a proper backup of the system in case of future issues.
Thanks again guys!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Help, recover, perforce, helix, update, service, wont, start, not, working

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users