Server files copied to new computer...how to recover?

recovery server p4a

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 IridiumStudios

IridiumStudios

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 07:35 AM

Sorry to jump in with what seems like yet another recovery question...we're fairly new to Perforce, and all hell broke loose this morning.

One of our programmers was hosting a Perforce server on a machine that basically exploded at around 11 AM. He pulled the hard disk, which was fine, and copied the Perforce folder containing all server files onto a new disk.

Meanwhile, on my end, I had *many* uncommitted changes on my local copy. Dozens of hours of work, easy.

I feel like the best solution would be to just grab my copy of the repository, install P4 on a new machine, and use my copy as the basis for a new depot. But my version is "mid checkout"...most of the files are read-only, and I'm worried about using this "mid-progress" copy for the basis of a new start.

Does that seem like a good idea? What do you guys recommend?

Deep thanks in advance for the help. This has been a...trying day, for us. :(

- Jason
  Iridium Studios

#2 p4rfong

p4rfong

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 343 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:46 PM

Although your idea would work, Perforce has atomic submits -- that is, either all of the files are checked in or none of them are.  So you could check in your files.  You may want to run

p4 reconcile

to see how your workspace differs from the Perforce server.

#3 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:56 PM

View PostIridiumStudios, on 25 November 2017 - 07:35 AM, said:

One of our programmers was hosting a Perforce server on a machine that basically exploded at around 11 AM. He pulled the hard disk, which was fine, and copied the Perforce folder containing all server files onto a new disk.

I'm a little confused -- if the server hard disk is fine, what's the problem?  Start up the server with those files and you should be good to go.  Discarding all your history and restarting from your working copy does not sound ideal, for exactly the reasons you gave.  :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: recovery, server, p4a

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users