Jump to content


Old P4V versions for Windows XP

Windows XP

  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ssegal

ssegal

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:35 PM

I would like to get P4V running on an old Windows XP box that I've inherited. I'm trying to retire it within the next few months, but for now I'm stuck with maintaining some code in place on this machine.

This thread suggests that P4V 2014.1 is the right solution:

https://forums.perfo..._hl__windows xp

However it's nowhere to be found on the web site or FTP. Has it been withdrawn? If so, I'll have to archive my code by hand (ugh).

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:09 PM

If you can't find a compatible version of P4V, I'd suggest either the command line (which I'd expect to work everywhere) or P4Win (which definitely works on XP at least).

#3 ssegal

ssegal

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:39 PM

Command line seemed like a good idea. I pulled 14.2 from the FTP, which according to the release notes is the final XP-compatible version. It installed but won't run, throwing error "P4.exe is not a valid Win32 application". I also can't remove it, since attempting to uninstall throws error "Failed to extract file 'Dll_.ini' from the binary table". And I can't try any older versions, because they won't install on top of the later 14.2.

Looks like there's no way to fix this...

#4 Sambwise

Sambwise

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:45 PM

That uninstaller error sounds nasty, but all you need to do to install p4.exe is plop it in your PATH (and the installer should have already added "C:\Program Files\Perforce" to the PATH so you can just put it in there).

I'm having trouble finding an old p4.exe binary, but that p4winst.exe installer I linked ought to have it in there (I'm pretty sure P4Win always shipped with a bundled CLI).  If all else fails you could also get the source from the Workshop and build it yourself.  :)

#5 ssegal

ssegal

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:49 PM

I think what I installed was "perforce.exe", not "p4.exe". I wonder if that was the wrong file?

#6 Sambwise

Sambwise

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:50 PM

"perforce.exe" is the general installer -- I think that'd have the server (p4d/p4s) as well as the client (p4).

#7 Matt Janulewicz

Matt Janulewicz

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:55 PM

View PostSambwise, on 12 March 2018 - 06:45 PM, said:

If all else fails you could also get the source from the Workshop and build it yourself.  :)

That sounds like not fun. :)

Is there any corporate line on why old clients (and release notes) are no longer available? I understand the "Those are not supported any more" answer, but some of us have legacy systems lying around that, say, need a p4 client for Solaris from 12 years ago so we can provide patches to old revenue producing products. If our own backup/archiving policies/practices/habits fail it kinda throws a fly in the ointment when we can't get at that stuff any more.
-Matt Janulewicz
Staff SCM Engineer, Perforce Administrator
Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
1275 Market St.
San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
majanu@dolby.com

#8 p4rfong

p4rfong

    Advanced Member

  • Staff Moderators
  • 239 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:01 PM

The 'Failed to extract file 'Dll_.ini' error may be related to InstallShield trying to access the temp directory. Please try setting the "TMP" and "TEMP" environmental variables to "G:\temp" (or some directory you create) and try the install again.  The variables can be set in "Control Panel => System Properties => Advanced => Environment Variables".

#9 ssegal

ssegal

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:02 PM

I'll tell you the answer I got from Perforce support when I asked for the 2014 P4V client-- they said they'd be happy to send it to me if I were a paying subscriber. Unfortunately for me, my office's IT team still hasn't bought a license. I hope we will soon!

#10 p4rfong

p4rfong

    Advanced Member

  • Staff Moderators
  • 239 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:06 PM

Yes, obtaining Perforce support would be a cleaner solution.  Hope you can purchase support!

#11 Matt Janulewicz

Matt Janulewicz

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:14 PM

View Postssegal, on 12 March 2018 - 07:02 PM, said:

I'll tell you the answer I got from Perforce support when I asked for the 2014 P4V client-- they said they'd be happy to send it to me if I were a paying subscriber. Unfortunately for me, my office's IT team still hasn't bought a license. I hope we will soon!

Twenty year p4 admin, biting lip.
-Matt Janulewicz
Staff SCM Engineer, Perforce Administrator
Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
1275 Market St.
San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
majanu@dolby.com

#12 Sambwise

Sambwise

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:51 PM

View PostMatt Janulewicz, on 12 March 2018 - 06:55 PM, said:

some of us have legacy systems lying around that, say, need a p4 client for Solaris from 12 years ago so we can provide patches to old revenue producing products. If our own backup/archiving policies/practices/habits fail it kinda throws a fly in the ointment when we can't get at that stuff any more.

I talked to admins at the last Merge conference who had immediately copied every binary from ftp.perforce.com into their Dropboxen in January 2016, just in case there was a "discontinuity"...

#13 ssegal

ssegal

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:30 PM

View Postp4rfong, on 12 March 2018 - 07:01 PM, said:

The 'Failed to extract file 'Dll_.ini' error may be related to InstallShield trying to access the temp directory. Please try setting the "TMP" and "TEMP" environmental variables to "G:\temp" (or some directory you create) and try the install again.  The variables can be set in "Control Panel => System Properties => Advanced => Environment Variables".

I was pulled away to work on other projects over the last few weeks, but this suggestion worked perfectly! Once I had 14.2 removed, I was able to get 14.1 installed and running. I think the readme files are a little misleading-- The 14.2 is just a set of server components, rather than the command line installer.

#14 p4rfong

p4rfong

    Advanced Member

  • Staff Moderators
  • 239 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:39 PM

Glad you were able to remove P4V 2014.2!

We do have a p4 command line installer in newer releases:
ftp://ftp.perforce.com/perforce/r17.2/bin.ntx86/helix-p4-x86.exe

#15 ssegal

ssegal

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:02 PM

View Postp4rfong, on 26 March 2018 - 09:39 PM, said:

Glad you were able to remove P4V 2014.2!

We do have a p4 command line installer in newer releases:
ftp://ftp.perforce.com/perforce/r17.2/bin.ntx86/helix-p4-x86.exe

Right, but the whole point of this effort is to get Perforce running on a WinXP machine. As I understand it, the current versions won't work on XP.

#16 p4rfong

p4rfong

    Advanced Member

  • Staff Moderators
  • 239 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:38 PM

Yes, you will have to use an older version of P4V to run on Windows XP.

#17 burgerbecky

burgerbecky

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:12 AM

View PostSambwise, on 12 March 2018 - 09:51 PM, said:

I talked to admins at the last Merge conference who had immediately copied every binary from ftp.perforce.com into their Dropboxen in January 2016, just in case there was a "discontinuity"...

I would love to get a copy of this archive, because I have a lot of classic computers and I'm in need of a few specific old copies of P4V and p4d.

Becky




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users