mister_wilson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:35 PM

Hi,

I am currently using Rev. P4V/NTX64/2018.1/1637591 on Windows 10 and when I right click on a submitted changelist that has alot of files it in (i.e.: 2905 in my case) and select "Undo Changes in Changelist 12345" nothing happens.
However when I run the 'p4 undo' operation from the command line it works as intended.

>> Also when I try to undo a change using P4V on a smaller submitted changelist, it works!

Does anyone else have this issue with v2018.1? (I was able to reproduce this issue on 3 different Windows 10 workstations all with the same version of P4V).

Thanks,

-JW

P.S.: Is it normal that when undoing changes, files that were submitted on an edit are treated as 'integrate' and files that were deleted are treated as 'branch'?

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1120 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:39 PM

View Postmister_wilson, on 24 April 2018 - 07:35 PM, said:

P.S.: Is it normal that when undoing changes, files that were submitted on an edit are treated as 'integrate' and files that were deleted are treated as 'branch'?

Yup -- a pure undo works kind of like doing an integrate from a previous revision, and the convention is that if a revision is derived from some other revision then it's an "integrate" whereas if it contains new changes it's an "edit".  Making it an "integrate" allows it to be rendered in Revision Graph with the right kind of arrows and all that stuff.  After opening a file with "undo" you can "p4 edit" it and make additional changes (and then it'll look like an "edit" and the arrows turn red to let you know that extra stuff happened).

Ditto for "branch" vs "add".  An undone delete acts like a branch from the earlier version and is a pure copy of that earlier version unless you "p4 edit" or "p4 add" to turn it into an "add", at which point you can make additional changes.

#3 mister_wilson

mister_wilson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for clarifying that Sam.
BTW Were you able to reproduce the issue I have with trying to undo a changelist with alot of files?
I didn't test the threshold limit of files where the operation stops working in P4V (my only test case was with 2905 files).

>>Unless there is an option to control the number of files allowed for a P4V undo operation? But i didn't see anything related to that in the Preferences.

#4 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1120 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:53 PM

View Postmister_wilson, on 25 April 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

BTW Were you able to reproduce the issue I have with trying to undo a changelist with alot of files?

Haven't tried, my only experience is with the command line version of "p4 undo".  :)  You could try making that a custom tool in P4V maybe?  It's a simple enough command to not really need any smarts beyond "p4 undo @=%change%" or "p4 undo @>%change%,@now" depending on whether you're trying to do a "roll back" or "back out".

#5 mister_wilson

mister_wilson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:41 PM

>>Ditto for "branch" vs "add".  An undone delete acts like a branch from the earlier version and is a pure copy of that earlier version unless you "p4 edit" or "p4 add" to turn it into an "add", at which point you can make additional changes.  

BTW does this also explain why "branch" files get reverted when doing "Revert Unchanged Files" after the undo operation?

#6 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1120 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:09 PM

View Postmister_wilson, on 30 April 2018 - 07:41 PM, said:

BTW does this also explain why "branch" files get reverted when doing "Revert Unchanged Files" after the undo operation?

Probably, yes -- there's a bug there, seems like (unresolved) branches generally should be exempt from "revert unchanged" since they always imply a content change.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: P4V, Perforce, p4 undo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users