The filesystem 'P4ROOT' has only XM free, but the server configuration requires at least 250M available.

P4ROOT depot server configuration

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ThMnSam

ThMnSam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:38 AM

Hello,

I started running a perforce server a little over a month ago, using Amazon AWS to hold the server for a development project. Just this night, me and my team are receiving errors for running any commands on perforce due to the lack of space within filesystems, and thus cannot run anything. We are receiving this message "The filesystem 'P4ROOT' has only 243.7M free, but the server configuration requires at least 250M available." I've done some research and found commands to apparently increase or decrease this configuration requirement but cannot run them due to being unable to as stated above. I've also found this information:
P4ROOT (type ext2) : 243.7M free, 7.4G used, 7.7G total (96% full)
P4JOURNAL (type ext2) : 243.7M free, 7.4G used, 7.7G total (96% full)
TEMP (type ext2) : 243.7M free, 7.4G used, 7.7G total (96% full)
GravityWellDevelopment (type ext2) : 243.7M free, 7.4G used, 7.7G total (96% full)

and wonder where the 7.7G amount comes from. I can find no other actual useful information from any sources on how to fix this issue. If anyone in the community has the time and patience to help provide me with steps to fix this, I would greatly appreciate it.

~Sam

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:19 PM

I haven't ever used AWS but I'd assume the 7.7G is the detected available storage space on your AWS instance and that you can increase that by paying more?

You probably don't want to just lower the 250M number since once you actually run out of space and a disk write fails (which is going to be very soon probably) your server is going to break hard (as in, it might corrupt the db and/or journal) and then you'll have to not only increase your available space but also figure out how to repair whatever corruption occurred.

#3 ThMnSam

ThMnSam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:50 PM

Turns out it involves the virtual linux that I'm running, and that is where the limitation is coming from. Unfortunately, I have to find someway to increase the size through it and AWS, but I'm on the basic AWS plan and thus have no technical support available. Has to to with expanding the root volume of the ec2 Linux, which I now have to hunt down tidbits of truth here and there on the internet. Hopefully someone knows how to do this properly.

#4 Matt Janulewicz

Matt Janulewicz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:09 PM

Most AWS Linux instances default to 8 GB for the root volume. I don't think they usually use LVM, either, so as far as expanding a live root volume ... don't do that. Also, in the future, don't put any actual useful data in there. :)

My advice would be to create a new volume in AWS and attach it as a new device. Figure out how much space your current Perforce directories are taking up, and at least double that for your new volume. Then move all your Perforce stuff to it.

For future expansion needs, utilize LVM to create separate volumes for Perforce (probably /depotdata, /metadata and /logs.) With LVM it's trivial to expand the underlying AWS volume, then expand the underlying volume group, then expand the individual volumes, as needed, into the empty space.

The Red Hat docs on LVM are useful, even if you don't run Red Hat or a derivative, the commands are the same:

https://access.redha...Administration/
-Matt Janulewicz
Staff SCM Engineer, Perforce Administrator
Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
1275 Market St.
San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
majanu@dolby.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: P4ROOT, depot, server configuration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users