4 replies to this topic

#1 Dero

Dero

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:36 AM

Hi,

my company is currently trying to migrate from subversion to perforce and we'd like to set up a replica instance. We understand that there is a free license supporting up to five users which does not include service users. Now documentation of older Helix Core versions suggests that a non-free license is required.

Now to my question: Can I setup a Helix Core master server and a Helix Core replication server with the free license?

Best regards,
Dero

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:43 PM

Are you sure you need to set up a replication server with only five users?  It's a non-negligible amount of admin overhead for what seems like would be negligible benefit when you only have five users.

#3 Dero

Dero

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:58 PM

The repository hosted for this is important for our company and we would use the replication as a backup. Reason is that to us the backup mechanics of perforce seem overly difficult when trying to achieve incremental backups while setting up replication is done within a few minutes. Tested this myself in a docker setup.

Anyway I just want to know if it's legal to set up replication with a free license. The decision if we will do it or not follows later.

#4 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:47 PM

If the server software lets you do it without a license, it doesn't require a license.  Give it a try; if you get an error about requiring a license that's your answer.  :)

#5 Dero

Dero

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:24 AM

Great thanks. Then It's allowed as I already set it up in a docker environment. Now to migrating this to the staging servers :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users