#1 tkoehn

tkoehn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:49 AM

The plugin version is slowing down Visual studio all the time:

p4vs.unresponsive.PNG

"Extension 'P4VS - Helix Plugin for Visual Studio 2018.2.165.3037' likely caused 24 seconds of unresponsiveness. Disabling it may improve your experience." (see above screenshot/attachment)

Also it does not checkout files always when starting to open and editing a file as i can see in "P4V". I have to "Check out.." my whole code tree and "Reverted unchanged files". This is not acceptable.

When can we expect a new Visual Studio plugin?

#2 p4bill

p4bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:09 PM

The plugin will be changed in a near future version to load asynchronously when installed in Visual Studio 2015 and 2017. That should improve the responsiveness.

More details would be useful with regard to files not being checked out on edit. Could you please contact support@perforce.com so that we may open a case on the problem?

#3 brous002

brous002

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 09:03 PM

Many of us here in the office get this error or an application crash on a daily basis.  Most of the engineers have opted to disable the P4VS plugin and checkout files manually.  Half of the time Visual Studio 15.7.3 is able to recover and shows the above error message, and the other half of the time the application hangs and then crashes.  Please let me know what more information I can provide regarding this because this issue is causing a problem with our productivity.  When the plugin is working correctly it is a huge time saver, so it would be great to get this issue taken care of.

** EDIT ** To provide more information - The specific error message is " 'P4VS - Helix Plugin for Visual Studio 2018.2.166.5359' likely caused 76 seconds of unresponsiveness. Disabling it may improve your experience."

#4 brous002

brous002

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:03 PM

I received this response from support@perforce.com - Seems to be working pretty well now.

1. A busy Perforce server can cause some sluggishness in VS by means of P4VS plugins trying to re-fresh the status of files. To workaround, please try using the options (all) available in Visual Studio under Tools -> Options -> Source Control -> Perforce-Data-Retrieval, Optimize File Status retrieval section. My personal favorite is a Lazy Load option. Please, check this doc for more details:

https://www.perforce...ences.data.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: p4vs, plugin, vs, vs2017

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users