• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ramlock

Ramlock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 04:19 PM

Hello, thanks in advance for any assistance.

I've recently had to format my PC, so I followed the guide on how to backup the database by creating a checkpoint and a journal. I also have every complete depot folder. However, I can't seem to restore the checkpoint following the same guide, as the server always crashes on startup after that.

At this point I don't even care anymore about any of the old server configuration or information about changes in the files, I just need to restore the last version of them, which I unfortunately lost.

TL;DR: I want to restore my depot files, regardless of how much of anything else can or will be restored.

Thank you again.

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:16 PM

"Crashes on startup" as in you're on Windows and the service actually throws an access violation?  Or the service just exits right away (and maybe writes something helpful to the log file to point you at a really simple fixable problem...)?

It's possible to extract the depot contents using gzip and RCS tools, but some files will be in the wrong places and in some cases it's hard to figure out what the actual latest version is.  I'd try a little harder to get the actual server up and running before giving up -- my guess is you'll spend no more than a day figuring that out, vs spending more than a week (to achieve much poorer results) if you try to reverse-engineer the raw archives.  Like I said, check the log file -- failing that, try an older version of the server software.  If you have a crash dump and a license you should also be able to contact Perforce support for debugging help (they'll have the PDB files that'll let them figure out why a crash happened).

#3 Ramlock

Ramlock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:53 PM

View PostSambwise, on 21 May 2018 - 05:16 PM, said:

"Crashes on startup" as in you're on Windows and the service actually throws an access violation?  Or the service just exits right away (and maybe writes something helpful to the log file to point you at a really simple fixable problem...)?

It's possible to extract the depot contents using gzip and RCS tools, but some files will be in the wrong places and in some cases it's hard to figure out what the actual latest version is.  I'd try a little harder to get the actual server up and running before giving up -- my guess is you'll spend no more than a day figuring that out, vs spending more than a week (to achieve much poorer results) if you try to reverse-engineer the raw archives.  Like I said, check the log file -- failing that, try an older version of the server software.  If you have a crash dump and a license you should also be able to contact Perforce support for debugging help (they'll have the PDB files that'll let them figure out why a crash happened).

You, sir, are now my god. I was so desperade I didn't even think of searching for a log file, or that it could be a simple issue with the program instead of the database being corrupt or something worse.

Both your suggestions were spot on, turns out the current perforce server version doesn't match the version I used before, so the log gave me a command to run and fix that, and so it did. I could instantly open my server and download all my files, and even my users informations and old versions were still stored.

Thank you so much! You rock!

#4 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:47 PM

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: backup, recovery, depot, support

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users