• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 IssamKhalil

IssamKhalil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:31 PM

I am being told that enabling DVCS on the server require setting up Helix4Git on the server, is that correct? I can't find any documentation suggesting that's the case, but I would like to confirm. Thanks.

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:14 AM

It depends on which version of Helix you're using for version control -- there are different flavors and none of them are interoperable as far as I know, so it's kind of all or nothing.  Here's my best understanding:

"Helix Core" is what used to be called Perforce -- with changelists, streams, depots, all that.  It has built-in DVCS functionality that you access via the "p4 init" and "p4 clone" commands.

"Helix4Git" is what used to be called the "graph depot", which as I understand it is essentially a Git backend.  If you use this, you get DVCS functionality by virtue of the fact that you're working with a Git repo and can use Git tools on your local version.

There's also SurroundSCM which I *think* is part of "Helix ALM" now but is actually its own VCS that's entirely separate from everything else.  No idea what its DVCS story is.

If you're using "Helix Core" there's also P4Sandbox which was the previous iteration of DVCS functionality within Perforce -- or there's Git Fusion which was (sort of) the previous iteration of the graph depot.

Clear as mud?  :)

#3 Matt Janulewicz

Matt Janulewicz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:22 AM

To clarify/muddy things even further, 'graph' is the type of depot you store git repos in. Helix4Git (aka the Git Connector) can be thought of as a specialized P4 Proxy that's graph-depot aware. It's how you use a graph-based git repo with a git client.

Anyway, there is the built-in Perforce DVCS system that you get if you're running just a regular Helix server, which has nothing to do with git or the various iterations of git-like access points (GitFusion or Helix4Git.)
-Matt Janulewicz
Staff SCM Engineer, Perforce Administrator
Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
1275 Market St.
San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
majanu@dolby.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users