Acceptable to set up more than one free <5 user Helix server at same location?

license free

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kmack

kmack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:04 AM

I'm working with a client in the visual effects industry who's new to using Perforce for version control but interested in evaluating it for their Unreal engine projects.

They have two separate groups working on unrelated projects who are both interested in evaluating the software - is it acceptable under the licensing terms for the free evaluation to set up two separate servers on separate hardware and allow the teams to evaluate this way?

Thanks!

#2 P4Jen

P4Jen

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:04 PM

Hi,

I believe it is not possible to have more than one free Helix Server per company, but I recommend you contact:
  sales@perforce.com

to double check with them.

If your client wishes to evaluate, our sales team will be able to provide them with an evaluation license, which will allow them to use as many users as necessary, without having to set up multiple versions of the free server.

It will also give them access to technical support.

Hope this helps,
Jen.

#3 Miles O'Neal

Miles O'Neal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:02 PM

I can't find anything in the EULA that limits you to one free license per company, but I may not have searched for the correct terms.
But I second the suggestion to contact sales for an eval license.
One thing to consider is whether long term you want one or two servers. I prefer to test drive under the most realistic conditions.

Documentation is here: https://www.perforce.com/terms-use .

#4 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:10 PM

I'm not a lawyer, but I always thought the EULA only applied to paying customers (unless something has changed where you now need to sign the EULA to download the free version).  The definitions at the start specify as much, e.g.:
  • 2. "Program(s)" shall mean the machine-readable object code of the computer software program or programs described in one or more price quotes issued by Perforce to Customer, including any additional Releases of such programs as are made available by Perforce to Customer from time to time.
I read that to mean that if you got the software by downloading it off the FTP site and you never got a price quote or signed an eval agreement, none of this is applicable and you can do whatever you like with it.

It cuts both ways though -- make sure to save backups of all the binaries you might ever need, since the lack of any legal agreement means that Perforce is not obligated to support you in any way, and might at any point change or completely revoke the free licensing conditions of the binaries they make available on their site.

#5 Miles O'Neal

Miles O'Neal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:05 PM

I agree in general, but the EULA is the only thing I can find online. After the new management came in, the website was massively redesigned from a modern traditional marketing perspective, and some things either went away or became hard to find.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users