7 replies to this topic

#1 Ian P

Ian P

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:04 PM

Hi,

I just upgraded p4v on two machines, one Windows and one Linux, from 2015 versions to the latest Helix labelled one, version 2018.2/166551. I have SlickEdit set as the default editor in both, and in the Windows case this new version now fails to open files using that. What I see is an hourglass cursor for 8 seconds, then it goes back to the normal cursor and nothing more happens.

This happens if I right-click a file in the depot and select "Open" or "Check out and Open", or if I select "Open With" and either choose SlickEdit from the list, or browse to its location in Program Files. Ditto if I double-click the file (the action for that being set to to check out and open it or to open in preferred application if already checked out). And it fails whether SlickEdit is already running or not.

This was working fine with the old version of p4v (2015.2/1312139). It works fine to open files with SlickEdit in the new Linux version, and the new Windows version works OK if I select programs other than SlickEdit to open the files (I tried with CodeWright and BeyondCompare both of which work fine).

What I can do with the Windows p4v is to drag depot files and drop then into SlickEdit - that does work. So this gives me a workaround for now, but it's a bit annoying to have to keep doing that.

And in case it matters, I have SlickEdit Pro 2014.

Ian

#2 Ben P

Ben P

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:47 PM

This is still an issue with version 2018.3/1706936.  I'm using SlickEdit Pro 2015 (v20.0.3.0).  I've tried both 32-bit and 64-bit for this version of SlickEdit.

Perforce version 2017.3/1654916 works ok with SlickEdit.  You can open files in SlickEdit from within Perforce 2017.3 by setting SlickEdit as the default editor or using "Open With".

#3 p4rfong

p4rfong

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:38 PM

Have you tried the Perforce integration in SlickEdit?  Install P4SCC:

http://ftp.perforce....6/p4sccinst.exe

#4 Ian P

Ian P

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 10:59 PM

I just upgraded to Rev. P4V/NTX64/2018.3/1719707 and it is still the same.

The P4SCC link above is to an old 2012 version that no longer exists on the FTP server, and the 2017/2018 versions that are up there don't include it. On the downloads page under Plugins & Integrations there is no mention of any SlickEdit integration, so that would appear to be something that is obsolete now.

#5 p4rfong

p4rfong

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 292 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 01:44 AM

Indeed our P4SCC code is no longer maintained.  Contact us if you have a support contract to obtain the last old version of P4SCCinst.exe.

#6 Ian P

Ian P

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 11:07 PM

Installing p4scc made no difference. I have now narrowed it down to being version 2018.2 which introduced this issue - trying different versions I found that 2018.1 works fine, 2018.2 shows this problem.

#7 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 11:28 PM

Does SlickEdit require some sort of unique formatting of its arguments (i.e. you can't just run "slickedit FILE" and have it open the file)?  I wonder if there used to be special-casing for this in P4V that got removed as a side effect of some other change.

#8 Ian P

Ian P

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:11 PM

Just in case this could be helpful to anyone else: I opened a ticket with support and they managed to replicate the issue. It turns out that it happens with Windows 7, but not with Windows 10. So to work around it you can either revert to using p4v version 2018.1, or switch to using Windows 10 if that is practical. I did the latter since I was having some other unrelated issues on my work PC and so a clean Windows 10 install fixed both problems - now it is working fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users