• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wcapone

wcapone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:12 PM

I am a Perforce administrator using P4Admin.  Another user’s workstation completely crashed and the hard drive cannot be recovered.  How can I, as an administrator, get a copy of that user’s checked out files?  This is needed to prevent that user from needing to redo their work.

I apologize if this question has already been posted.  If it does exist, I could not find it.

I did try switching to their workspace, but I received a “This workspace cannot be used on this computer either because the host field does not match your computer name or the workspace root cannot be used on this computer.”

I tried other methods including “Get Revision” but nothing has worked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 P4Reg

P4Reg

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:30 AM

Checked out files are stored in the workspace so if the hard disk has been lost so have the edited files. The only exception would be shelved files where a copy of the file is stored on the server

#3 Miles O'Neal

Miles O'Neal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:09 PM

If the workspace is on a shared drive (NFS, SMB, whatever), edit the client to not have a hostname, or give it the new workstation hostname for that user.
We have a trigger to (among other things) eliminate the hostnames when clients are created.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users