mister_wilson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:17 PM

Hi,

I'm going to re-ask a question that was posted back in 2015 but received no response
[ref: https://forums.perfo...l__grandparent]

My Operating system is Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1703 and I am currently using P4V Rev. P4V/NTX64/2018.2/1666551.
The server version is P4D/LINUX26X86_64/2016.2/1568552 (2017/09/20)

I created a virtual stream from a parent "development" stream. Is there a way to properly configure my virtual stream so that the "import folder/..." will not use the "mainline" stream but the immediate parent?

i.e.:
My mainline stream is : //mydepot/main/...

My development stream is: //mydepot/development/...

My virtual stream Paths:
exclude ...
import data/...

My view becomes:
-//mydepot/development/... << This is good
//mydepot/main/data/... << not what i want (it should be //mydepot/development/data/...)

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks,

-Jonathan Wilson

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:18 PM

Can we see the paths of the main and development streams too?

The virtual stream view would make sense if the development stream itself was importing from its parent (main).

Also, why is this stream virtual if it doesn't have any "share" paths?  I'd think you could make it a normal development stream and there'd be no difference in behavior.

#3 mister_wilson

mister_wilson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:06 PM

Hi Sam,

For the development stream the Path is: share ...
which results in view: //mydepot/development/...

For the mainline the Path is: share ...
resulting in the view: //mydepot/main/...

I can confirm that using the "share" method instead of "import" in the virtual stream shows the view of the immediate parent.
I wanted to have a stream that we could use on our build machines to reduce the view of files that we need to synchronize and doesn't need to ever submit back or do any merging, which is why I was using the 'import' option. Perhaps a virtual stream was not the best thing to use for this case? Now that I think about it, i guess using a non-stream client with a restricted view map would be the best thing if I don't have any intention of submitting.

#4 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:38 PM

There might be a bug there with the combination of Type: virtual and Path: import.  It seems like either of the following should work for your purposes:

Type: virtual
Paths:
	share data/...

OR:

Type: development
Paths:
	import data/...

but maybe combining them confuses the view generator (being "import" means "map the parent", and being "virtual" also means "map the parent", and based on your description it sounds like combining them gets you "map the grandparent").

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: P4V, Streams, Virtual, Import

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users