• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Peter.K

Peter.K

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 02:53 PM

I'm trying to recover a server from a backup. I did not do the backup myself, and I'm trying to recover it on a new windows machine.

I have the versioned files and a checkpoint file (checkpoint.1) but even after several attempts I been unable to make a successful recovery. I been following the guide on https://www.perforce...er.backup.html.

I haven't used Perforce before, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or if I'm missing something. So I would really appreciate some help. Here is a step by step guide to what I done so far.

(1)I installed the Helix versioning engine, selecting Server(P4D) and Command-Line Client(P4). I then installed Helix core Apps, selecting all applications.

(2) I stop the server using the P4 Admin Stop console command

(3) I delete all the db* files from the server root folder (Perforce/Server)

(4) I verify the integrity of the checkpoint file using the p4d -jv "path to checkpoint.1" command, this returns nothing so I guess it means no errors?

(5). I then run P4D -r "Path to server root folder" -jr "Path to checkpoint file". This returns.

Perforce db files in 'C:\Perforce\Server' will be created if missing...

Recovering from C:\Back\checkpoint.1...

Perforce Server info:

Server version 45 is replaying a version 40 journal/checkpoint

(6). I start the server using the P4D command

(7). I run p4 counter lastcheckpointAction. This returns

152602447 (2018/05/15 18:40:47 +0200 W. Europe Daylight Time) checkpoint restored

(8) I then run p4 verify //... which returns

//... - no such file(s).

(9) The last step is the versioned files, which I'm uncertain where to place. The info I have from the person who made the backup in the first place is that they should be simply placed in the root server folder. The versioned files in this case consist of about a dozen folders for different projects. Each one of these containing multiple sub folders with 'v' and 'gz' files.

(10) I try both p4admin and p4v to access the server and the projects. The server runs fine, but I can't access the files.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really stuck and don't know what to do. Thanks you!

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 03:17 AM

(8) I then run p4 verify //... which returns

//... - no such file(s).

(9) The last step is the versioned files, which I'm uncertain where to place. The info I have from the person who made the backup in the first place is that they should be simply placed in the root server folder. The versioned files in this case consist of about a dozen folders for different projects. Each one of these containing multiple sub folders with 'v' and 'gz' files.

(10) I try both p4admin and p4v to access the server and the projects. The server runs fine, but I can't access the files.

1) What do you mean by "can't access" in that last step?  Do you mean you get a Perforce permission error (indicating you aren't authenticated to Perforce correctly), or does the server encounter an error accessing the versioned files (that'll be a "librarian checkout" error or somesuch)?

2) The fact that verify returns "no such files" makes me think this is an auth issue -- either the server is empty or you're authenticated as a user who has no permission to see anything.  Are you sure you're logging into the server as a superuser?  (The person who handed the server over to you hopefully gave you an admin username/password to sign in as.)

#3 P4Jen

P4Jen

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:12 PM

Hi Peter,

The issue could also be that you haven't restored the versioned files, to the location the depot specs specify.

By default the Helix Server depots live under the P4ROOT directory (where the db.* files live), but it is possible that the depots on the original server were mapped to different locations.

If restoring the depots to P4ROOT has not worked and you know that you are logged in as a super user, then run:
  p4 depots

to get a list of depots that the Helix Server knows about.

Then, run:
  p4 depot -o <DepotName>

to see the depot spec, and look at the field:
  map

If this is anything other than:
  <DepotName>/...

The depots have been mapped to a location outside of the P4ROOT directory.

If the contents of the map field is:
  <depotName>/...

then run:
  p4 configure show

and see if the configurable:
  server.depot.root

has been set.

If so, this indicates the location where the depots were stored on the old server.

You will need to create this, or change it to reflect where you want the depots to reside on the new server.

You can find more information about depot mappings and how/when to change them here:
  https://community.pe.../s/article/2559

If you would like some assistance from Perforce Support and your company have a valid support contract, or would like to purchase
one, contact:
  support@perforce.com

Hope this helps,
Jen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users