• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RavenAB

RavenAB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:13 AM

Since about 1.5-2 weeks ago, P4VS no longer checks out files when I save them in Visual Studio. No errors in the output window, just nothing. Checking out manually works.

This is quite frustrating, please advice.

#2 p4bill

p4bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 02:37 PM

P4VS should be checking out files before you save them. The checkout is triggered on edit of a file. With P4VS 2018.3.168.2696 That is the behavior that I am seeing - and files are not checked out on save if no changes to them have occurred.

Are your files writeable in the workspace? There was a change in 2018.3 to no longer check out files of type text+w or files in a workspace that are set to allwrite. Files that are already writable locally do not need to be checked out to be edited.

1666340 (Bug #62466) *
		 Files of type "text+w" can now be edited without being checked
		 out.

#3 sdtremblay

sdtremblay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 03:12 PM

Is there a way for a client to change our workspace to have read-only files? All my scripts are writable at the moment and on edit are no longer checkout.

#4 RavenAB

RavenAB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 03:34 PM

We're using allwrite on all our projects to have it work better with Unity. Is there no way I can disable this, as it's effectively rendering P4VS useless for me?

#5 p4bill

p4bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 03:57 PM

Not in the current version, but I'll log a request to put in an option for that. You could roll back to the previous version:

ftp://ftp.perforce.com/perforce/r18.2/bin.ntx86/

1. Uninstall P4VS from Tools -> Extensions and Updates
2. Download and install 2018.2 from ftp.
3. On startup, go to Tools -> Extensions and Updates and uncheck [] Automatically update this extension, otherwise it will be updated to 2018.3 again.

I'd be interested in more details on how Unity/VS/Perforce are not working more smoothly together. Perhaps that could be improved in the plugin.

#6 RavenAB

RavenAB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:35 AM

Thanks for clarifying, the 2018.2 does indeed work as I've come to expect (auto checkout).

When we started using Unity and Perforce together a few yeas back, Unity's native support for Perforce (and VCS in general) was bad if at all present. Since then we've also tried the p4 connect plugin, but it kept on crashing for us over several versions so we had to abandon it. Instead we've been using allwrite and reconcile together in all of our Unity projects. However, the scripting in Unity is done in VS (our similar), and therefore I've been using the P4VS plugin to at least get rid of the reconcile need for the scripts.

In recent days we've started again to use Unity's native support inside of Unity, and so far it seems OK. That means we can avoid the allwrite alltogether, but it's to early to say yet if it's working solidly enough in long term. So for now, adding the option box to P4VS would be much appreciated!

#7 p4bill

p4bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 01:19 PM

View Postsdtremblay, on 31 August 2018 - 03:12 PM, said:

Is there a way for a client to change our workspace to have read-only files? All my scripts are writable at the moment and on edit are no longer checkout.
There are two things that could make files writable in your workspace:
  • allwrite client setting - Leaves all files writeable in the workspace. This is noallwrite by default. This only affects files in that workspace.
  • +w filetype modifier - makes file always writable in the workspace. This is not set on files initially. This affects all the file for all users.

#8 p4bill

p4bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 01:24 PM

View PostRavenAB, on 03 September 2018 - 07:35 AM, said:

Thanks for clarifying, the 2018.2 does indeed work as I've come to expect (auto checkout).

When we started using Unity and Perforce together a few yeas back, Unity's native support for Perforce (and VCS in general) was bad if at all present. Since then we've also tried the p4 connect plugin, but it kept on crashing for us over several versions so we had to abandon it. Instead we've been using allwrite and reconcile together in all of our Unity projects. However, the scripting in Unity is done in VS (our similar), and therefore I've been using the P4VS plugin to at least get rid of the reconcile need for the scripts.

In recent days we've started again to use Unity's native support inside of Unity, and so far it seems OK. That means we can avoid the allwrite alltogether, but it's to early to say yet if it's working solidly enough in long term. So for now, adding the option box to P4VS would be much appreciated!
Thank you for the additional details. The request for the option is in and prioritized for the next release.

Not sure if this would help at all, but P4VS does have reconcile functionality. Maybe that would be worth running on the solution before submits as a last check to confirm no changes are missed? It would be a manual step and would only affect files under the solution. Just wasn't sure if you knew the feature was in the plugin.

#9 RavenAB

RavenAB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:47 AM

View Postp4bill, on 04 September 2018 - 01:24 PM, said:

Not sure if this would help at all, but P4VS does have reconcile functionality. Maybe that would be worth running on the solution before submits as a last check to confirm no changes are missed? It would be a manual step and would only affect files under the solution. Just wasn't sure if you knew the feature was in the plugin.

Thanks for the tips, I had not looked for it in the plugin but we're very used to using P4V for our reconcile so that's no real problem. However, very happy to hear about the option box. Thanks for making it a priority!

#10 p4bill

p4bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 08:32 PM

The option has been implemented in the 2018.4 release:
	 #1697525 (Bug #96251, 95917)
		 There is now an option to Check out writable files on save
		 which can be set in Tools -> Options -> Source Control ->
		 Helix Core - General -> Files and folders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users