• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BenKnght

BenKnght

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 07:36 PM

I just set my perforce server on my desktop, which is connected via Ethernet to my router. I can create workspaces and pull files from depots on the computer that is serving perforce fine. When I try to connect to that server from my p4v client on my laptop, though, the process hangs for a while and then displays the following error:

"Operation cancelled by user. Connect to server failed; check $P4PORT. TCP connect to XXX.XXX.XX.XX:1666 failed. Operation timed out."

It seems like an issue with the way server's permissions are configured. The client can definitely see the server (if I give p4v any other server name, it just tells me that the server doesn't exist), it just times out while trying to connect. I'm out of ideas for debugging this, though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 p4rfong

p4rfong

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 292 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 02:00 AM

From the command line, run

p4 set

and from P4V, try

<IP address of the Perforce server>:1666

instead of the name.  If this does not work you may have to set up a vpn tunnel to only use one port 1666 and no others.

#3 BenKnght

BenKnght

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for the response! I tried running "p4 set" from the server and then connecting from the client. I got the same result as before.

Could you provide some more information on why I might need a VPN tunnel in this case? Also, would a VPN tunnel not limit me to one connection per port?

#4 p4rfong

p4rfong

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:30 PM

The VPN tunnel  will restrict the connection to one port which may be the port opened by the firewall.  Otherwise, P4V may use multiple "ephemeral ports" that may need to use a port not opened by the firewall.

#5 Miles O'Neal

Miles O'Neal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 05:30 PM

Agreed; this really sounds like a firewall issue. Do the server logs show a connection attempt? What kind of firewall are you running on server and laptop?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: connect, server, cancelled, user, fail

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users