2 replies to this topic

#1 UnstoppableDrew

UnstoppableDrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:54 PM

I'm at a remote office that has been using a p4proxy for the local users to connect to. We just set up a full replica server to act as a DR site and I would like to use that instead of the proxy.

My proxy is at ssl:xx.yy.zz.100:1668, the new replica is at ssl:xx.yy.zz.101:1667. I'm wondering if I should run a broker listening on .100:1668 to direct the traffic to the master or the replica, or switch the server to be a forwarding replica. I'd probably still run the broker just so I don't have to change the IP of the replica, but just pass everything along.

Resource usage by one solution or the other is a total non-issue. The box they sent me is so ridiculously over-specced for the job I could probably run a simulation of detonating a nuclear warhead inside a hurricane and not notice a performance hit.

#2 p4rfong

p4rfong

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 286 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:32 PM

Either is fine.  Do remove the proxy as you mentioned.  Then either keep the broker which redirects to the replica or add another forwarding replica.  The advantage of the broker is you can easily take down the users.  The disadvantage of the broker is a performance middleman.

#3 Miles O'Neal

Miles O'Neal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 05:10 PM

I would run the broker. If all you do for now is pass everything through, great, but you also have flexibility later. We found the broker performance to be negligible (VM on serious hardware with a great network). If the remote office has very much latency, you will likely be happier with  a forwarding replica. If it's low latency, it probably doesn't matter. Personally, I'd run some tests and see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users