• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 itdept

itdept

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 07:11 PM

I'm new at the company I'm working for.  I just found out today, that there is this system called Perforce that they use here.  I know about this because a user came to my desk asking me to fix the following error he is getting:

Operation 'write' failed.
Error updating journal file!
write: journal: There is not enough space on the
disk.

Prior to the guy stopping at my desk, I've never even heard of Perforce before.  I contacted support but they said we don't have a support contract and cannot help me without one.  They pointed me to these forums.  I performed a search, but could not find something similar to what I'm getting.  I have checked the file server that he is connecting to and there appears to be plenty of disk space.  Can anyone point me in the right direction for troublshooting this error?  Keep in mind I have no prior knowledge about Perforce or even how to access it as of yet.

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:56 AM

It's a testament to Perforce's robustness that a Perforce server can potentially run with zero administration whatsoever for many years -- but in your case it's run out of disk space on the journal filesystem and nothing is going to work until that's fixed, so time to learn some admin things!  :)

If one of the clients (this can include you if you can get the client software installed, but you obviously have some users already who have done this so you may need to enlist their help if you haven't gotten that far) runs "p4 info" they'll see a "server port" entry that tells them the network address of the server, and a "server root" that says where on that server filesystem the server lives.

Your journal file is probably in that server root directory and is called "journal".  If your journal file is on another disk, this is determined by either the P4JOURNAL environment variable or the -J p4d command line flag.  My guess is that this is not on the file server you're talking about.

https://www.perforce...4SAG/about.html

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users