6 replies to this topic

#1 Bdcoll

Bdcoll

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 04:00 PM

Hey all,

So i'm incredibly new to using Perforce. As in, I've only just started using it and i'm already in way over my head.

So I've a project i'm needing to work on in Unreal 4, and I've got that all set up on the main projects server that everyone in the company points to.

I've been through and set up P4D on a computer on the network to run as the Perforce server, and am able to point to it correctly through P4V.

My problem comes in getting the Unreal Projects on the depot so everyone is able to use them and check them out. The files for all of these are located :

Z:\Projects\Unreal Engine Projects\0006 - Quixel Mansion

When setting up both the new depot location, and my workspace, i never got the prompt to add files to the depot so never got a chance to tell it where to point to. How would i go about doing this?

Attached Thumbnails

• Depot.png

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:06 PM

Edit your client spec ("Workspace" in P4V) -- that's what tells the server how your local files map to the depot.  The client "Root" defines the root level of the local files you want your Perforce workspace to comprise, and the "View" defines the mapping to the depot relative to that root.

E.g. you might want something like:
Root: Z:\Projects\Unreal Engine Projects\0006 - Quixel Mansion
View:
    //depot/quixel/... //JamieQuixelMansion/...

#3 Bdcoll

Bdcoll

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:27 PM

View PostSambwise, on 15 November 2018 - 06:06 PM, said:

Edit your client spec ("Workspace" in P4V) -- that's what tells the server how your local files map to the depot.  The client "Root" defines the root level of the local files you want your Perforce workspace to comprise, and the "View" defines the mapping to the depot relative to that root.

E.g. you might want something like:
Root: Z:\Projects\Unreal Engine Projects\0006 - Quixel Mansion
View:
//depot/quixel/... //JamieQuixelMansion/...

Great, thanks Sambwise. I'll give it a shot, although if i'm honest i'm not sure what half of the things you've mentioned to do are, or where to find them. This really isn't my forte!

#4 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:46 PM

Which half?  :)

The client spec is in your screenshot:

Posted Image

I think you can just right-click on it and "Edit".

#5 Bdcoll

Bdcoll

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 11:33 AM

Ah yeah it was the other half thats got me, thanks though.

I'm still completely unable to figure this out sadly. Through going on edit, and then into the workspace mapping as tree i get this, where i assume i need to add your lines to, but whenever I do so i get error messages. From looking at it, I don't think it fully understand where things are going to be either, as it looks like its pointing locally rather than to the main server.

Maybe I'm thinking about this all wrong? I'm in the art side of Unreal rather than anything else, so this is so far out of my comfort zone its comical! Would anyone be able to confirm if i'm thinking about things on the below picture correctly in how perforce should work

Sorry to be so annoying, thanks for all your help so far :)

Attached Thumbnails

• Depot2.png
  • Explan.png

#6 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 04:23 PM

Ak, okay -- ignore the "main server" for a sec.  When you put stuff in Perforce it goes into a "depot" which is a global repository shared by everyone but which is accessible only via a Perforce client (it's not a normal filesystem -- you can think of it more like a web server, or an FTP server, or a shared Dropbox folder, or any other centralized file repository that you need a client to access).  Each individual client workspace gets to decide for itself where the depot files go -- so when you add the files, all you have to decide is where they go in the depot, and you decide that by setting up a client spec that says how the depot maps to your local disk.  You say in your picture that they're on your C: drive -- where are they exactly?  What directory?

You want to set up your client spec like this:

Root (aka "workspace root"): C:\wherever_on_jamies_pc_these_files_live
View (aka "workspace mapping"): //QuixelMansion/... //Jamie_QuixelMansion/...

Then you can "add" the files and "submit" them.  This puts them in the depot path //QuixelMansion/...

THEN, you can go onto RH01 (the "main server") and create another client spec (different client spec for each place where the files live -- do NOT try to reuse the one for your machine, this is a common noob mistake for some reason) that pulls files from the depot into that workspace:

Root (aka "workspace root"): Z:\Projects\Unreal Engine Projects\0006 - Quixel Mansion
View (aka "workspace mapping"): //QuixelMansion/... //RH01_QuixelMansion/...

Then when you sync (or "get revision" in P4V parlance) the files that you added to the depot will get synced down to that workspace in the specified Z: location.

#7 Bdcoll

Bdcoll

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:39 AM

Sorry for the late reply. You know how the weekend is!

Thanks for the super in depth reply. I'll look at trying to get it working today and hopefully have some success now i've a better idea of things :)

Thanks for all of your help on this!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users