Possible to set up workspace exclusions by path wildcard?

workspace workspace mappings

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kmack

kmack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 09:39 PM

I have an Unreal projects directory that gets a lot of individual projects added to it, and right now I'm having to update my workspace mappings by hand to exclude the Saved and Intermediate directories from each individual Unreal project, like so:

//depot/... //WorkspaceFoo/...
-//depot/source/....log //WorkspaceFoo/....log
-//depot/source/....sln //WorkspaceFoo/....sln
-//depot/source/....VC.db //WorkspaceFoo/....VC.db
-//depot/FooProjects/UE4/ProjectFoo/.vs/... //WorkspaceFoo/Packt/UE4/ProjectFoo/.vs/...
-//depot/FooProjects/UE4/ProjectFoo/Intermediate/... //WorkspaceFoo/Packt/UE4/ProjectFoo/Intermediate/...
-//depot/FooProjects/UE4/ProjectFoo/Saved/... //WorkspaceFoo/Packt/UE4/ProjectFoo/Saved/...
-//depot/FooProjects/UE4/ProjectFoo/Build/... //WorkspaceFoo/Packt/UE4/ProjectFoo/Build/...
-//depot/FooProjects/UE4/ProjectBar/.vs/... //WorkspaceFoo/Packt/UE4/ProjectBar/.vs/...
-//depot/FooProjects/UE4/ProjectBar/Intermediate/... //WorkspaceFoo/Packt/UE4/ProjectBar/Intermediate/...
-//depot/FooProjects/UE4/ProjectBar/Saved/... //WorkspaceFoo/Packt/UE4/ProjectBar/Saved/...
-//depot/FooProjects/UE4/ProjectBar/Build/... //WorkspaceFoo/Packt/UE4/ProjectBar/Build/...

I'm using wildcards to exclude certain filetypes, but is there a way to specify a path wildcard to indicate that any child of an /Intermediate/ or /Saved/ directory is ignored? Would save time each time a new sub-project needs to be added.

Thanks!
_Kevin

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:26 PM

//depot/... //WorkspaceFoo/...
-//depot/source/....log //WorkspaceFoo/....log
-//depot/source/....sln //WorkspaceFoo/....sln
-//depot/source/....VC.db //WorkspaceFoo/....VC.db
-//depot/.../.vs/... //WorkspaceFoo/.../.vs/...
-//depot/.../Intermediate/... //WorkspaceFoo/.../Intermediate/...
-//depot/.../Saved/... //WorkspaceFoo/.../Saved/...
-//depot/.../Build/... //WorkspaceFoo/.../Build/...

One word of warning: you can do this tricky double-wildcard thing with your client view OR your protection table, but usually will hit problems if you do both (and as an end user you don't necessarily have control over what the admin does with the protection table).  If you end up hitting problems with this client view approach (i.e. you get errors along the lines of "too many wildcards" or "too many mapping combinations"), an alternative to consider would be the P4IGNORE file (assuming ignoring these directories on add is sufficient), which operates outside of the mapping logic.

#3 kmack

kmack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:04 PM

Thanks so much for this! Exactly what I was looking for.
I've also subsequently discovered that on a depot using Streams (I'm connected to one depot that does not use Streams, and one that does), I can simply add the following to Stream: Edit > Advanced > Ignored:
.log
.sln
.VC.db
/Intermediate/...
/Saved/...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: workspace, workspace mappings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users