5 replies to this topic

#1 NasteX

NasteX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:28 PM

Hi,
I dont know what happened but I suddenly somehow got a "duplicate" kind of my current folder structure inside P4V (See attachment).

So to explain, the lowercase "depot" folder just suddenly showed up inside the workspace view which is basically a "copy" of the original name "Depot", but locally there is only one folder which is the uppercase "Depot" name, the lowercase "depot" doesn't exist. What is this thing?! I cannot even remove it... and I dont want to go around the problem by deleting the current workspace and creating a new one which is basically now the fix to the problem or?

Could you please explain to me what is going on?

p4vproblem.jpg

Edit: Forgot to attach the screenshot.

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:48 PM

Try re-syncing the workspace (just "p4 sync #have").  My guess is that some subset of files got synced with an explicit "depot" path, and you have a case-sensitive server so it's treating it as if you mapped part of your depot to a lowercase path variant (even though the local filesystem folds them together), and P4V is reflecting this when it renders its view.

If that doesn't fix it, double-check your client view and make sure that you don't have something like:

//Depot/some_files/... //client/Depot/some_files/...
//Depot/some_other_files/... //client/depot/some_other_files/...
(note the case mismatch that from a case-sensitive perspective would make it appear that you're mapping different parts of the depot to two different local folders)

#3 NasteX

NasteX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:03 PM

Thank you very much for the fast answer!

View PostSambwise, on 15 January 2019 - 03:48 PM, said:

My guess is that some subset of files got synced with an explicit "depot" path.

This is what actually happened, basically one my colleagues has made a new project submission and he had created a new workspace that had the same path as //Depot/... but instead uppercase D he had lowercase //depot/.... After that we deleted the new "depot" folder and resubmitted the project with the correct path, but the problem with the "duplicated" depot was still there.

I tried p4 sync #have, and I got the result - #have - file(s) up-to-date. The mapping on my workspace is suddenly with lowercase //depot/... //client/... (which is strange, how and when did it changed the path alone?).

When I tried to change the the name inside P4V to a uppercase //Depot/... //client-name/... I get the error message -  "Error in client specification. Mapping '//Depot/...' is not under '//repo/...'.". I found this solution https://community.pe.../s/article/8461 and it didn't not helped me a lot. My client-name is the same as the workspaces name and I have super rights so its not the protection the problem or?.

I wanted to try to change the name with the "p4 client" command but I didn't manage to find out how I should write this. How should I write the command so I can change the mapping of my workspace from //depot/... to //Depot/... ?

#4 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:27 PM

Sounds like the client mapping isn't the problem.  Is the "depot" folder in your workspace empty?  If so just delete it, and set the "rmdir" option in your client spec to make sure that in the future empty folders get cleaned up when you sync.

If that doesn't work I'd need to see more of the real folder structure to be able to suggest things, because the example as you've described it doesn't make sense (since you replicated what you described your coworker as doing and it didn't work) and I suspect things have gotten lost in translation as the path names have been obfuscated.  It's not clear to me at this point whether "depot" is even actually a depot or a folder within a depot...?

#5 NasteX

NasteX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:38 AM

Sorry, I got so confused yesterday that I just got it totally wrong. Just to clarify, my folder structure is like this - //Depot(as a depot)/Depot(folder-name)/projects-names/, the problematic "depot" is a folder name.

#6 NasteX

NasteX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:26 PM

Can anyone help me on my problem?

Edit: I ended up deleting the whole workspace and creating a new one, this honestly was one of the sh-est way of fixing a problem...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: workspace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users