1 reply to this topic

#1 harbinger

harbinger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:33 PM

I am the 'printer guy' at work.

I could have sworn at one point I could drag and drop a file from the Depot to the desktop to copy it - but when I try that I get a "no" sign. I have to map to the workspace, check out the file, and THEN I can copy it.

But, as the 'printer guy', my job entails having to go to 5-10 different workspaces, grabbing a JPG/PNG, and printing it. There has to be a better way than creating multiple workspaces, checking out files, etc. just to delete them, OR double-clicking a file to save it to the desktop to print it. I am not editing files, changing them, etc. all I do is print them and then delete them.

Is there ANY way to enable a way to copy files directly from the depot tree? I don't care if it's only through the command line, this would seriously save me 10 to 20 minutes a day.

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:20 PM

From the command line you can use the `p4 print` command to dump a depot file into an arbitrary local file, so if all you need to do is send it to the printer, something like this would work as a custom tool script:

p4 -p server:port print -o C:\temp\file //depot/path/to/file
print C:\temp\file
del C:\temp\file

except replace your own app for the system "print" command -- on Windows you might be able to use mspaint /pt?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users