Question/Problem setting up multiple projects with separate changelists.

Server Depot Multiple Changelist Separate Project Administration

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Will

Will

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:37 PM

Good morning/afternoon/evening!

My name is Will, and thank you in advance for any and all assistance. ^_^
Now that the pleasantries are out of the way, I'll get straight to the point:

Issue:
I'm trying to set up multiple game design projects, either using separate servers or depots most likely, and I need them to have separate change lists. So far, attempts have failed.

Details:
Until now I've been using a single server on my PC to host files among a small team (2 people) and using different workspace configurations for separate projects. Functional, but all projects share a single change list.

I've attempted to set up separate depots within a single server, but ran into issues trying to get it to work properly and (as far as I'm aware) the changelist is Server relative, not depot relative. If that is incorrect, please let me know and I'll revisit that option.

The problem I'm encountering now is that, after going through all the steps of creating the second server service in the command line, setting its variables, and verifying that the service exists, I cannot seem to start it. Using the "svcinst start -n Perforce2" command at the end of the steps listed here, I get an error stating that the file cannot be found. Yet, my task manager's services tab shows Perforce2 there, and it cannot be started manually either. Checking the files in the root directory for the server, everything is there that should be, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Best regards,

Will.

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:23 PM

Can you paste the exact "file not found" error you get when trying to start the second service?  It would help to know which file it's trying to find that's not there.  (p4s.exe maybe?)

#3 Will

Will

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:01 PM

No problem. For context, in case something there was wrong:
- Using Windows Powershell as Administrator.
- In the directory of the second server I set up following the instructions here.
- Using the final start command:
svcinst start -n Perforce2

I get the following:
Starting Service
Service stopped... starting
StartService(): failed, The system cannot find the file specified

Checking both services for errors/inconsistencies, the only thing I see is I don't have the following on server 2:
P4_1667_CHARSET=none

This is the output for said checks:
PS D:\Program Files\Perforce> p4 set -S Perforce
P4EDITOR=C:\Windows\SysWOW64\notepad.exe (set)
P4JOURNAL=journal (set -S)
P4LOG=log (set -S)
P4PORT=1666 (set -S)
P4ROOT=D:\Program Files\Perforce\Server (set -S)
P4USER=William (set)
P4_1666_CHARSET=none (set)
PS D:\Program Files\Perforce> p4 set -S Perforce2
P4EDITOR=C:\Windows\SysWOW64\notepad.exe (set)
P4JOURNAL=journal (set -S)
P4LOG=journal2 (set -S)
P4PORT=1667 (set -S)
P4ROOT=D:\Program Files\Perforce\Server2 (set -S)
P4USER=William (set)

And finally a little proof that the files needed are there:

Attached Thumbnails

• Server2.PNG
  • Services.PNG

#4 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:45 PM

Is there a way to see in the Services panel which executable the service wants to run?  (Maybe right-click and Properties?)  I'm guessing the "file not found" refers to the executable since it's coming from the "start" command.

Does starting the service from the services panel behave any differently?  How about "net start Perforce2"?

#5 Will

Will

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:53 PM

Ah, that's likely the issue. Looking at the properties for the services "Perforce" and the newly created "Perforce2", the later doesn't have the full path to the executable. It has p4s.exe, but not "D:\Program Files\Perforce\Server\p4s.exe" like the original has. Obviously it would need to be adjusted for the separate directory, but yeah.

I'll look up how to set that and see if that fixes the issue. Please hold. :P

Edit 1:
Hm, standard windows sc config command is saying:
Set-Content : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'binPath='.
At line:1 char:1
+ sc config Perforce2 binPath= "D:\Program Files\Perforce\Server2\p4s.e ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo		 : InvalidArgument: (:) [Set-Content], ParameterBindingException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SetContentCommand

I assume that means the service's definition lacks the binPath value to be set, so fun. I'll start checking perforce commands, maybe there's something there.

Edit 2:
Turns out it does, I was just using the CMD command rather than Powershell's command. It -appears- to be fixed, it started, so now I'll see if I can connect.

Edit 3:
Success! I can connect. ^_^
Thank you. I'll have to make note of how to verify and set the service path. Seems like that should be a step in the creation process that isn't listed on that page or is out of date.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Server, Depot, Multiple, Changelist, Separate, Project, Administration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users