Feature Request - The "Submitted Changelist" dialog should contain all actions available in the context menu of elements in the "Submitted" view

P4V Submitted usability

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bioroid

bioroid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 01:37 PM

Very common situation I ran into is the following: A file I am working on it is modified by someone and I want to sync to the latest version of that file, but also make sure I get all the other changes in the Changelist where that change was. This is what I have to do currently in order to do so:
  • Go to the history of that file and select the newest revision
  • Click on the hyperlink of the changelist where that change was submitted to open its "Submitted Changelist" dialog
  • In this dialog I can't do multi-select, so syncing to the specific revision in that changelist is a matter of selecting the files one by one and clicking "Get This Revision" in the context menu OR
  • Copy (Ctrl+C) the changelist number
  • Go to the "Submitted" view
  • Find (Ctrl+F) that changelist there (making sure enough changelists are showing up in that view)
  • Select "Get Revisions for files in changelist '#'" in the context menu
In my opinion I should be able to replace step 3 by 7 and be done with this.

I have a similar problem if I want to Back Out (i.e., "Undo") a specific changelist. Because the "Submitted Changelist" dialog does not contain an option to Undo it I need to Ctrl+C that CL number, then find it in the submitted view, right-click on it and select the "Undo Changes..." option.

Summarizing the request: The Submitted Changelist dialog should offer the same changelist-centric actions contained in the context menu of items in the "Submitted" view.

#2 p4rfong

p4rfong

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 299 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:24 PM

Arguably a little easier, under View, Submitted Changelists you can filter "Files match any of the following file paths" and choose "Current depot or workspace tree selection" and then you can Get Revisions or Undo.

#3 bioroid

bioroid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:24 AM

View Postp4rfong, on 20 February 2019 - 08:24 PM, said:

Arguably a little easier, under View, Submitted Changelists you can filter "Files match any of the following file paths" and choose "Current depot or workspace tree selection" and then you can Get Revisions or Undo.

That's a bit easier for the first use case, thanks for the tip (it involves switching between filter presets, but is still better). It doesn't help with the case where I want to do operations on a specific changelist. In those situations I feel the more elegant and intuitive workflow would be to "Go to Spec" (Ctrl+G) and just trigger a Back Out or other operations from that dialog...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: P4V, Submitted, usability

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users