• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 esforco

esforco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:52 PM

If one selects to ignore all blanks, line endings, etc, when doing a p4 diff against have revision, lines that differ only by such blank spaces aren't shown correctly.
I edited one file, and in addition to some real changes, I deleted some extra spaces in e.g. function calls, to make func (arg1, ...) be func(arg1 ...)
Interestingly enough, those lines show in the workspace file pane not what the workspace file has, but show the same as in the have revision pane.
I did a double take, wondering whether I had saved the file since my last edit.
(P4V/P4Merge/NTX64/2018.2/1687764)

#2 MichaelK

MichaelK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:30 PM

The Perforce diff tools for Windows stopped working properly long time ago. Moreover the p4vs does not allow to change it for something different. I believe it would be better if someone with a valid support just repot the problem officially.
No doubt the Perforce quality on Windows goes from bad to worse. Did Windows platforms stop generating revenue at all?

#3 p4rfong

p4rfong

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 340 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 06:00 PM

I reproduced the behavior you are mentioning

editing this file
func (arg1,   ...)

then I removed four spaces

editing this file
func (arg1,  ...)

and clicked "Diff Against Have Revision"
with "Ignore line ending and white space length differences" and both sides still looks like

editing this file
func (arg1,   ...)

The workaround is to temporarily click File, Comparison Method, Recognize Line Ending and White Space Differences.

Or perhaps choose a third party diff tool through Edit, Preferences, Diff such as Beyond Compare.

We do have many Windows customers and they are a key part of our business, but we are standardizing on tools that work with Windows, Mac, and Linux.

#4 MichaelK

MichaelK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:13 PM

> We do have many Windows customers and they are a key part of our business
And none of them has ever reported that “next diff” and “prev diff” buttons do not work properly anymore? That the picture for many diffs that do not fit the single screen is totally broken? Sorry, I do not believe you.
> Or perhaps choose a third party diff tool
And again, this is not possible for p4vs – you have broken the choice of the diff tool in p4vs. The whole option is greyed.

#5 MichaelK

MichaelK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:57 PM

Here is what I see with the Perforce diff tool. Please, see the attachment. The file as you may see is from your public depot.

Attached Thumbnails

• perforcediff.png

#6 p4rfong

p4rfong

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 340 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 12:07 AM

I just opened up Visual Studio with the Microsoft Visual Studio Ultimate 2013
Version 12.0.21005.1 REL
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.5.50938

P4VS - Helix Plugin for Visual Studio   2017.2.158.2681

And I installed a trial version of Araxis Merge. Then I chose a file, ran Diff, Diff Against Have Revision and Araxis Merge, a 3rd party diff tool came up.
Is this not working for you?

#7 MichaelK

MichaelK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 02:03 AM

> I just opened up Visual Studio with the Microsoft Visual Studio Ultimate 2013

This version is not supported by Microsoft anymore. The current versions are Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 and 2019 RC4 (the release date is the 2nd of April). Your plugin misbehaves in both of them.

> P4VS - Helix Plugin for Visual Studio   2017.2.158.2681
I will not be able to install this version. It is 2019 already and you, the Perforce, provide 2018.4.174.2004 only to be available to install through the Visual Studio automatic extensions install and update facility.

> Is this not working for you?
The last thing that worked for me right was p4Win. But it is too old to work with the current Visual Studio and Perforce server. But I believe I begin to understand why you choose such strangely old versions – they did work indeed, I remember.

Never the less, please, see the attached screenshot. This is the Visual Studio 2017.

Attached Thumbnails

• perforceP4VSDiffSettings.png

#8 MichaelK

MichaelK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:30 PM

And again, as with the Perforce personal server, everybody just disappeared. It looks like I am the only Perforce Windows user in the whole Universe… This feels good!

#9 MichaelK

MichaelK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 08:04 PM

Good news -- they do read this forum. Bad news -- they react. They appeared to be very vindictive people indeed. In response to my deprecative words they have broken P4VS 2019.1.177.4442 almost completely in return. Here is the example how the submit dialog looks like (it does have a description (you may see active submit button) but it is not seen any more). But as far as I am the only Windows user and I have an old p4v that still works, it is OK.

Attached Thumbnails

• p4vssubmit.png

#10 p4rfong

p4rfong

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 340 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:44 PM

The submit dialog box issue you describe appears to be a P4VS problem.  Please open up a topic on the P4VS Plugin forum, thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: merge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users