1 reply to this topic

#1 MarianHristov

MarianHristov

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:09 PM

Hello everyone,
So me and another few friends of mine decided to make relatively large game and unfortunately none of us is very experienced in Network Management as we are more of designers ourselves. So while reading the documentation of the Unreal Engine there was a manual for installing Perforce and here I am. I have never heard of Perforce before so I am not very well met with its capacities. My question is how good is perforce for Game development from Experienced people on this forum and for the most basic package (Of course in future we would upgrade if it's good) what is the usual server storage (Minimum amount available and increasing it pricewise) and does it have the options of pipelines, branch source tree and maybe u can advise me some good points where I can read more to inform myself of what would I need.
Thank You,
Marian

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:03 PM

I suggest reading this thread in its entirety to see if you've got the stomach to handle your own hosting: https://forums.perfo...into-workspace/

Perforce is an excellent tool, and relatively easy to administer (even in its free mode, you can effectively use it forever with full functionality as long as you have a small team), but its core audience is software engineers.  If you don't have at least one technically-savvy person who's willing to act as a system administrator and manage basic monitoring and backup tasks (this is like five minutes a week worth of work, mind you, it's just a matter of someone being willing/able to do it), AND you aren't willing to pay up front for a support license and/or professional hosting, it may not be the right tool for your case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users