• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 seanwaves

seanwaves

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 04:16 PM

Perforce server crashed for the first time in two years. We're using a somewhat old version (2015.2). The event viewer for Perforce server is full of
write: log: The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation
warnings. Looking into this, is error appears to be caused by fragmented drives, or large files on compressed NTFS drives.

My drive fragmentation is low (26%) and it is not a compressed volume.

Is anyone familiar with this error?

#2 Matt Janulewicz

Matt Janulewicz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:58 AM

It's been ages since I was in charge of any Windows servers but I do recall this error and believe it had more to do with fragmented files, not necessarily the entire volume. Large files, like perhaps db.have, that are constantly written to can become heavily fragmented in short order, even when newly written/rewritten. The amount of free space on the volume will also adversely affect fragmentation.

I'm not entirely sure what the remedy is aside from defragmenting on a regular basis. But even then, the error might occur at different intervals depending on database activity and the above mentioned free space.

If you _really_ want to go whole hog with a solution, I'd recommend switching to a Linux server and not running Perforce on Windows at all. This is one of at least several problems you'll eventually run into with Windows/NTFS. It might feel unholy if you're a Windows development shop, to run a Linux server, but you won't regret it (probably.) There are some considerations for line endings and upper/lowercase preservation on the underlying filesystem (recommend XFS or ext4), but I've been supporting Mac, Windows and Linux users with exclusively Linux Perforce servers for over a decade and it's served me quite well.
-Matt Janulewicz
Staff SCM Engineer, Perforce Administrator
Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
1275 Market St.
San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
majanu@dolby.com

#3 Domenic

Domenic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 12:05 AM

https://support.micr...w-beyond-a-cert may be helpful.

We hit this error a few years ago when we were running Windows servers, applied the hotfix and formatted the drive with the right flags (after copying everything off so we could copy it back post-format), and didn't see the error again before we moved all our servers over to Linux.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users