edge-commit - service user per edge server?

edge commit service user

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Miles O'Neal

Miles O'Neal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:48 PM

Looking (finally!) into testing edge-commit, I noticed that some docs suggest using a service user per server[1], but then I see that it's fine to just use one service user (which is what we do for our forwarding replicas).
Why would you want a separate service user per edge server?

[1] I just looked and found that the recommendation for replicas, proxies, etc. is a service user per server, at least in newer documentation. I inherited a setup with one service user for everything and have never had a reason to change that. I see it as a single source of truth. 8^)

#2 Domenic

Domenic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:27 AM

For us, it makes log spelunking a lot easier since we can just look at a specific user rather than needing to also filter on the IP(s) of the connection.

#3 Matt Janulewicz

Matt Janulewicz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 26 May 2019 - 06:01 AM

We have six edge servers and we use the same service account everywhere, seems to work fine for us. In the four years or so we've been in commit/edge I can't ever remember thinking "I wish I had separate service accounts for this."

Our log spelunking (maybe 'Splunking?') includes the IP address and hostname so distinguishing them by service account isn't necessarily useful for us.

One argument against multiple service accounts might be that you'd have to pay for them all or convince Perforce that you need them and shouldn't have to incur an extra cost for following their recommendations.

But again, using one account globally doesn't have any technical limitations as far as I've seen, just aesthetic.
-Matt Janulewicz
Staff SCM Engineer, Perforce Administrator
Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
1275 Market St.
San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
majanu@dolby.com

#4 Domenic

Domenic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 05:53 PM

View PostMatt Janulewicz, on 26 May 2019 - 06:01 AM, said:

One argument against multiple service accounts might be that you'd have to pay for them all or convince Perforce that you need them and shouldn't have to incur an extra cost for following their recommendations.
Service users are free and are limited in what they can do (unlike background accounts). To even see them and operator accounts you need to run 'p4 users -a'.

Miles, https://www.perforce...vice_users.html has more info about service users. It sounds like the biggest pro is when reviewing logs, so if you've got a process that works for you now with a single user there shouldn't be a need to change. Given Matt's experience, having a single account handling it all seems to be fine.

#5 Miles O'Neal

Miles O'Neal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:28 PM

We've been using one account for multiple replicas since the day we added the second replica. (The same is true for test/dev servers.) Thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: edge, commit, service user

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users