4 replies to this topic

#1 benchang

benchang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:23 PM

Hi,

I'm brand-new to P4, and having a little trouble getting started with uploading files to the server.  We have the helix server installed and running, and I can connect to it from P4V.  I created a Workspace, put a file in the workspace, and clicked the Add button.  I get the error "file(s) not in client view".

p4 add -d -c default c:\Users\changb3\Perforce\CHANGB3_changb3-msi_8232\New Folder\helloperforce.txt
	no files opened
	1 warning reported
	c:\Users\changb3\Perforce\CHANGB3_changb3-msi_8232\New Folder\helloperforce.txt - file(s) not in client view.

I don't seem to have a client view.  If I bring up the Edit Workspace dialog in P4V, the Workspace Mappings list is empty.  Here is the output of p4 client -o

Client: CHANGB3_changb3-msi_8232

Update: 2019/05/31 22:14:40

Access: 2019/06/10 13:20:24

Owner:  CHANGB3

Host:   changb3-msi

Description:
		Created by changb3.

Root:   C:\Users\changb3\Perforce\CHANGB3_changb3-msi_8232

Options:		noallwrite noclobber nocompress unlocked nomodtime normdir

SubmitOptions:  submitunchanged

LineEnd:		local

I tried editing this with p4 client to add a mapping:

View:
//depot/... /CHANGB3_changb3-msi_8323/...

and I got a new error:
Error in client specification.
User does not have list access for mapped depots.
Hit return to continue...

Is this a server setting, or user permissions setting?  Or am I missing a step?

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:15 PM

A little more background would help -- is this a brand new server that you just set up yourself, or is this an existing server that's already in use at your company?

If it's an existing server, hopefully your admin has given you some information about what your login name should be and what depots/files you have access to.  It sounds like the default depot named "depot" is not one that you have access to under this login.

What does "p4 depots" show you?   How about "p4 info"?  Does the user name listed there look like the correct name?

#3 benchang

benchang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:57 AM

It's a brand new server that we've set up ourselves.  

"p4 depots" doesn't output anything.  "p4 info" shows the username as CHANGB3, which looks correct.

#4 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 01:25 PM

View Postbenchang, on 11 June 2019 - 03:57 AM, said:

It's a brand new server that we've set up ourselves.  

"p4 depots" doesn't output anything.  "p4 info" shows the username as CHANGB3, which looks correct.

Okay -- so it sounds like whoever set up this server has either completely locked you out, or they've deleted all the depots.  I'd check with them to see which it is.  Right out of the box, a Perforce server has a depot called "depot" that everyone has permission to, so if "p4 depots" is empty and you get a permissions error when you try to map "//depot/...", then things have been configured differently.

If you're the person who set up the server and you've somehow managed to lock yourself out and there isn't anything in the server yet, just delete it and start over, following one of the "getting started" guides that'll walk you through adding files to the server.  (e.g. https://www.perforce...r.tutorial.html)

#5 benchang

benchang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:34 AM

Thanks, we got it solved. It was a permissions issue - something to do with whether permissions are additive, result being that all users including superusers had no permissions to view files :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users