1 reply to this topic

#1 saudia

saudia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:47 PM

I've noticed that my disk usage has been creeping up even though I obliterate files for projects that have concluded (I just back up the latest revision to a regular file server).

Upon inspection I've found that quite a few files are being left behind on the server's disk, 100's of GBytes in my case (over the course of many years, though).

I've read this...
https://forums.perfo..._hl__obliterate

...and ran the command to check for "lazy copies", and there /is/ some output, but the output indicates the lazy copies are just copies of files that were obliterated anyway.  There is literally nothing in any of the current folders that any obliterated file could be pointing to, or vice versa.

Am I doing this wrong?  Should I be "snapping" stuff back before obliterating?

But, more importantly, is it ok to deleted the orphaned files from the disk?

Thanks.

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 03:27 PM

This *may* be fixed with the latest server upgrade since the db's tracking of depot archive storage was recently revamped  (I haven't played with it yet), but historically, it's been pretty common for files to accumulate in the depot archive that don't correspond to any submitted revision (usually as a byproduct of a failed/abandoned submit) and therefore won't be cleaned up by obliterate.

If you want to clean up all of these files, the typical workflow would be something like:

p4 snap //... //depot/old_project/...
	p4 obliterate //depot/old_project/...
	rm -rf p4root/depot/old_project

The only purpose of the "snap" is to ensure that there are no files in that archive directory that do not correspond directly to depot files in the same directory, so that you can "rm -rf" without fear of breaking lazy copies in other directories.  You don't necessarily want to do this as part of every obliterate since it causes duplication of archive files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users