3 replies to this topic

#1 afklamer

afklamer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 12:51 AM

Hey!

I wanted to get an UE4  3d art diorama going with a friend of mine. At work we are using perforce so we naturally were inclined to use it to sync up our unreal projects.
The thing is we don't really need the revisions perforce is saving out I also don't have that much disk space that i could afford it in the first place .I was hoping to find some sort of command that stops it form creating revisions and just overwrite the existing file every time we submit changes.

The only thing I found is the file type specific command. which is a little tedious and risky  since I might oversee something.

I'm really hoping  for a stop dong revisions command or at least a delete all history files in this folder command ?

Thanks!

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:54 PM

You can apply a particular filetype to all files matching a certain pattern via the "p4 typemap" command.  Run "p4 typemap" and then edit the form like:

TypeMap:
	+S1 //....ue4
	+S1 //....big

where ".ue4" and ".big" are the extensions of the "big files" that you don't want to version.  (Replace with your own as needed.) . You can also do patterns like "//depot/folder_of_big_things/..." if you want to match a particular folder rather than a particular file type, or even just "//..." if you want to match everything.

The "+S1" stands for "store one" and means that only one revision of those files will ever be kept; old revisions get purged as new revisions get submitted.  You can change this to "+S2" etc if you decide that you want to keep an extra revision around as a backup.

#3 Matt Janulewicz

Matt Janulewicz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 06 July 2019 - 11:45 PM

"we don't really need the revisions perforce is saving out"

That there is the sole purpose of Perforce existing. Maybe it's not the right tool for this ...? Just sayin'...
-Matt Janulewicz
Staff SCM Engineer, Perforce Administrator
Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
1275 Market St.
San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
majanu@dolby.com

#4 Miles O'Neal

Miles O'Neal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 03:39 PM

I agree with Matt. In this case, what is the Perforce software gaining you? Just pick a shared directory, add everyone to a group that can access it, and put files there. Rsync them to just pull latest. Although sooner or later I suspect you will wish you had at least one or two revisions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users