• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 redsoft

redsoft

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:42 PM

Starting from some VS2017 version this 2019 year, deleted from VS project/solution files stopped be marked for deleting in a P4 default changelist. Now, after deleting a file, I need manually find in in P4V depot and mark it for Delete.

#2 p4bill

p4bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 10:35 PM

I have attempted to reproduce this with a local debug build and see the expected behavior (based on my settings):
  • Right click on a file in solution explorer, click Delete.

• See Visual Studio prompt to delete file permenently, click [OK]

• See prompt to check out project, click [Checkout the file]

• See prompt for Mark for Delete, click [Yes]
Go to the Pending Changelists tool window and see that the project is checked out and the file is marked for delete.

If the behavior you are seeing is different, we'd like to investigate the potential bug. If you could post your repro steps along with the project type and provide the Visual Studio version from Help->About Microsoft Visual Studio and the P4VS version from the dialog that comes up from there:
about.PNG

Or you can send the same to support@perforce.com

Thank you for your feedback and helping to make our products better.

#3 redsoft

redsoft

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:27 AM

Now I needed to delete one file, tested it again... nothing changed :(
The project file is checked out for editing. The deleted file was silently deleted without be checked out.
The Helix notification in VS output window is:

Connecting to Helix Core server on ...
->edit xxxx.vcxproj
--->Tagged Data: { {depotFile://xxxxx.vcxproj} {clientFile:xxxxx.vcxproj} {workRev:13} {action:edit} {type:text} }

I compared the P4VS version with provided by you screen. It's strange, I have the checkbox "Automatically update this extension" switched on, but my version is older then yours:

P4VS - Helix Plugin for Visual Studio   2019.1.177.4442

#4 p4bill

p4bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:49 PM

Sorry about the version confusion. You have the latest release. I have an unreleased 2019.2 version installed.

There have been some differences in behavior with C++ projects related to delete, but I just tried to repro this with a new C++ project and saw the same expected behavior (based on my settings):
  • I'm asked if I want to remove the file or delete it permanently (I chose delete)

• Prompted to check out project file, click Yes.

• Prompted to mark for delete the deleted file, click Yes.
The project file is checked out and the deleted file is marked for delete in the default pending changelist.

I used release version 2019.1.177.4442

Could you confirm that you have this setting checked:

options.png

#5 redsoft

redsoft

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 12:22 PM

Hi, confirming that I am doing the same, has the option "Mark for delete in Helix..." turned On. The only difference that I am working without "Prompt for changelist when checking out....", but I played with this option, it doesn't influence onto described problem.

#6 p4bill

p4bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 06:25 PM

I've tested more with a basic C++ Console Application and am still not able to reproduce the issue. I also see the expected actions in the log:
->edit d:\test_ws\delete_test\delete_test\delete_test.vcxproj.filters
->edit d:\test_ws\delete_test\delete_test\delete_test.vcxproj
->delete -k d:\test_ws\delete_test\delete_test\Header.h
I actually had not noticed the .filters file before and it is checked into the depot. Perhaps that is a difference between our environments? (Though I did delete that file locally and in Perforce and it made no difference.)
If you're willing, it would be best for you to contact support@perforce.com and copy bbaffy at same. We can investigate further and hopefully have a quicker communication turnaround there.
Please send the information from Visual Studio that you will find under:
Help->P4VS System Info.

#7 redsoft

redsoft

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:07 PM

Hi,
I do not use the .filters file at all, and do not add it to the source control. May be I have deleted it.
What is interesting, this problem started to happen one day, I think after some VS2019 update I installed.
Ok, I will send to support@perforce.com the link to this discussion and will wait a response.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: p4vs, vs2017

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users