Package did not load correctly (another one)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lionel

lionel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 05:57 PM

Everytime I open a solution I get the error p4vscrash.png . See xml file: Attached File  ActivityLog.txt   69.34K   5 downloads. Note I'm using VS2017 (15.9.3)

I think this started after I had to kill my VisualStudio because it became unresponsive (5mn+) trying to display the asm view while debugging C++ (should be unrelated to p4vs I guess). It was working well before.

At first I was completely blocked as I had this message as soon as opening VisualStudio. Trying to uninstall/reinstall P4vS didn't solve the problem and the whole plugin was nonfunctional (I use it mostly/only for the auto-checkout on edit).

After a whole VisualStudio Repair, things are a bit better as the error pops on solution opening, but I seem to be able to work after that (auto-checkout on edit seems to work). But I fear it's because I'm using the old VS2P4 plugin now (not sure how I got it, either from P4VS install, or from our own deployment setup install). In fact I cannot select P4VS in the SourceControl options (it causes the popup above).

If you had some clues as how I could repair or clean some cache files somewhere or something...

#2 p4bill

p4bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 08:08 PM

I don't know that I've seen that exact error message, but times when I think I may have had a faulty install (via the Extensions Manager and the VS Marketplace), I have uninstalled P4VS and deleted what I think is the installation of the extension. That is located here: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_c5db5379\Extensions\kvfqj0sf.tuh

Both the 15.0 suffix (_c5db5379) and the extension directory (kvfqj0sf.tuh) are likely to have different names on your machine. I've gone as far to delete everything under C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio, but that is probably overkill.

After the extension is uninstalled and that directory deleted, try a clean install of P4VS.

I don't know if that will stop you from seeing that error on solution open, but it is probably worth a try. I'd suggest not permanently deleting that directory, so you can restore it if deleting has no effect on the issue (though it will likely get re-created on the re-install).

Some users with similar errors shown in the ActivityLog suggest deleting the ComponentModelCache which is in the same directory as the Extensions folder:C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_c5db5379\ComponentModelCache.

https://stackoverflow.com/a/38765677

#3 lionel

lionel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 08:27 PM

Thx for the quick answer.

I did try the componentmodelcache thing without success before. And I just tried to clean the folder under Extensions after P4VS uninstall. But it is properly fully cleared after this uninstall.

I will eventually try the full \AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio clear in the future (and/or full VisualStudio clearn reinstall), but for now I'll continue with VS2P4 as it seems to work well.

Thx for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users