• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Zeblote

Zeblote

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:12 PM

Just installed p4exp. It's already very useful, but it could be even better if it displayed file status icons in the explorer like something like TortoiseSVN does.

Like these
Posted Image

in here
Posted Image

#2 p4bill

p4bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:39 PM

P4EXP does display file status icons, but it is possible that you have run into the Windows limitation related to file icon overlays. If you have other Explorer plugins installed (TortoiseSVN, OneDrive, Dropbox) you can quickly hit this limit. Please see this KB article for more information:

https://community.pe.../s/article/2771

#3 Zeblote

Zeblote

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:53 PM

Oh wow. That has to be the most insanely stupid Windows™ thing I have seen so far. For some reason I had 3 versions of OneDrive with varying numbers of spaces taking up all the slots. Thanks!

There doesn't seem to be an icon for a file modified yet not checked out though - like the first one in my P4V screenshot. Could that be added?

#4 p4bill

p4bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:36 PM

That could be added, but since the commands run to get that information can be expensive to run we would add it as an optional badge that would be off by default. (see the screenshot below of the P4V preferences). Also, it would likely be a blue dot, rather than coloring the entire icon blue since P4EXP does not have control over the file icons, only the ability to add an overlay. I'll log an enhancement request for this functionality.
p4v_prefs.PNG

#5 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:11 PM

View Postp4bill, on 15 August 2019 - 05:36 PM, said:

the commands run to get that information can be expensive to run

Thinking this over -- back when P4EXP was originally written there wasn't any version of p4 diff that didn't involve reading the full file from disk, which is somewhat prohibitive, but leveraging the synced modtime (similar to reconcile -m) and/or the read-only bit would make it a little more reasonable to do in-place.  I'd think that just visually flagging files that the user has made writable would do about 95% of the job.

#6 Zeblote

Zeblote

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:13 PM

I'm not sure why it would be an issue, considering P4V is able to show the icon without any issues too? Flagging files that were made writable doesn't work on files that are set to be writable in workspace, which this would be most useful for.

Also, a reconcile folder button would be very useful to have when right clicking a folder in the explorer!

#7 p4bill

p4bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:51 PM

It is not an issue as much as a performance concern. Which is the reason why P4V has a preference for toggling that indicator, but none of the other file state indicators. There is (or was) a way for admins to turn that option off as well. See this related to P4V performance: https://community.pe.../s/article/2878

I'll log an enhancement request for the reconcile feature as well. Thanks for your feedback.

#8 Zeblote

Zeblote

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 04:02 PM

Interestingly p4exp only seems to work with a single workspace at a time. I have two different workspaces from two different connections, and icons are only showing in one of them.

#9 p4bill

p4bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 04:09 PM

Are the icons the only thing missing? Or are the menus also showing "no connection", or "not under workspace"? I'm hoping the later is true, then it should just be a case of needing to use P4CONFIG files:

https://community.pe.../s/article/2768

If only the icons are missing for the other workspace, we may have a bug here.

#10 Zeblote

Zeblote

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 04:40 PM

I see, that was the issue. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users