4 replies to this topic

#1 INFECTED

INFECTED

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:10 PM

Hello,

At our company we have a lot of freelancers coming in and out and currently we delete users when they leave and recreate them when they return to free the Helix licenses they were using.

Our IT now asked me if there is some way of just deactivating users and reactivating them on return instead of deleting.

The goal is just to streamline and simplify our on and off-boarding processes.

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Dennis

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 03:31 AM

View PostINFECTED, on 25 August 2019 - 03:10 PM, said:

Our IT now asked me if there is some way of just deactivating users and reactivating them on return instead of deleting.

No.  There's not very much incentive for Perforce to make it even easier for people to not pay for licenses.... ;)

#3 Miles O'Neal

Miles O'Neal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:32 PM

You can delete the user but leave everything associated with them (groups, clients, labels, shelves, etc. as you wish).
We have a script that will tar & gzip obvious work in progress (unmanaged files, files opened for edit), save off client specs, clean out the on-disk workspaces, deletes the clients, logs the group list and removes the users from groups, and then deletes the user. I forget what we did about shelved files. We wrote a corresponding script to restore everything.

We have a much shorter script for simply cleaning out the goners.

#4 INFECTED

INFECTED

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 07:37 AM

Hey, thank you both for your feedback.

i figured this is not going to work -> finding nothing on google is usually a bad sign but now i know for sure.

I guess i'm starting to look into scripts to automate user creation / deletion but this might be difficult in our infrastructure.

@Miles O'Neal Yeah i need to create some scripts to deal with those thinks too but this is already pretty streamlined here.

@Sambwise I honestly don't think that any company out there will by more licenses of anything just to make the work for IT a bit easier unless it's wasting noticeable time or resources from IT.
IT will just be more annoyed with a software that is cumbersome to service and look more closely for alternatives. At least in my experience.

Cheers,
Dennis

#5 Matt Janulewicz

Matt Janulewicz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 23 September 2019 - 06:14 PM

You could perhaps ensure that your protections table only has 'group' entries in it, put something like "list group * * -//..." at the top, then remove the user from all groups when they leave. Still kinda cumbersome when they come back, though! But maybe not too bad if you maintain a //spec/... depot (and shame on you if you don't, rectify that right now.)

If IT is doing all the user management, then the way we do things would certainly please them. Switch to LDAP authentication. This way there is a single LDAP group for valid users, and IT just needs to add/remove people from it as needed. The LDAP thread(s) on the server will automatically purge users who are no longer in the LDAP group, and automatically add them again when they show up in said LDAP group.

It's probably a product of being lazy coupled with the fact that overall our shelves don't take up much disk space, and people don't often lock their checkouts, etc., that we don't do any other cleanup when users leave, unless someone specifically requests it. We have too many people leaving and coming back in a few months, interns coming on permanently, etc., that it was more of a hassle to clean up then un-cleanup that stuff when they came back, so I just leave the cruft.

It might be a good idea for us to unload clients, but alas, again ... lazy admin here. :)
-Matt Janulewicz
Staff SCM Engineer, Perforce Administrator
Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
1275 Market St.
San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
majanu@dolby.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users