4 replies to this topic

#1 INFECTED

INFECTED

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 04:28 PM

Hello,

we just noticed that our usernames are case sensitive.
Now i don't know if this is because our server has the case sensitive option enabled or if this is always the case but that seams like a strange behavior.

We're using LDAP and all other platforms don't care for the case of a username only Perforce does.

Is this expected behavior and is there a way to change the username to be case insensitive?

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers,
Dennis

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 03:40 AM

Perforce uses the same case sensitivity throughout its database.  Typically this matches the server OS, since you generally want the database's case sensitivity to match that of the filesystem; if you run p4d on Unix without specifying a case sensitivity flag, you'll get a case-sensitive database.  (FWIW, Unix usernames are case-sensitive.)

There is not a way to configure this to make usernames have different case sensitivity from everything else, although if you're using LDAP triggers you can always normalize the username there.

#3 INFECTED

INFECTED

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 07:23 AM

Hey Sambwise,

thanks for your feedback!

Technically i can totally understand that the usernames are part of the database and therefore have the same case sensitivity setting.

My problem is that most user don't understand that. They get a username and password from IT and while the username contains some uppercase letters ldap doesn't care for that so on all our tools they can type the username however they like with Perforce being the only exception. That leads to a lot of confusion i would actually say that 80% of our new users call me saying the password doesn't work while instead they typed in their username wrong. This is what i'm trying to solve.

I'm not sure i understand your idea with LDAP triggers do you mean that if we user ldap user auto creation that we can change the case of the username coming from ldap to a all lowercase version in perforce for example?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,
Dennis

#4 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 04:38 AM

View PostINFECTED, on 01 September 2019 - 07:23 AM, said:

I'm not sure i understand your idea with LDAP triggers do you mean that if we user ldap user auto creation that we can change the case of the username coming from ldap to a all lowercase version in perforce for example?

I don't grok the specifics of your setup, but in principle, if you have control over the usernames that are getting passed from one system to the other, you should be able to insert logic that just normalizes them to lowercase so that the casing entered by the users doesn't matter.

#5 Matt Janulewicz

Matt Janulewicz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:33 PM

If you're using Perforce's newer built-in LDAP system (p4 ldap/ldaps), then in your LDAP spec(s) you'll want to look into "Options: downcase". This will create all p4 usernames as all lowercase.

This doesn't actually solve the core of the problem/question, but it will make usernames consistent with what people are used to (all lowercase.)

I don't think this will re-create users who are already uppercase. I think you'll have to delete them and re-import them (p4 ldap -u). Looks like we have one user that is in all uppercase in Perforce, though I know we have many others who are uppercase in LDAP but lowercase in p4. Not sure what's up with this rogue, he may have at one time told us he prefers uppercase so we left it that way.
-Matt Janulewicz
Staff SCM Engineer, Perforce Administrator
Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
1275 Market St.
San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
majanu@dolby.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: user

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users