• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 damageINC

damageINC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 03:35 AM

Is there any reason I can't or shouldn't install P4D to a location other than the C-drive? My server rig has a smaller SSD that contains windows and a much larger 4TB hdd that I was planning on using as my depot. I didn't realize when I installed the server that the default location of the storage depot was within the server's install location. So is there any reason I couldn't simply install P4D and P4V on the other drive so storage space stops being an issue?

I started reading up on creating alternate depots with the Admin tool but this seems like it's more difficult and potentially complex situation. I'm no IT professional and I'd like to avoid any weird one off stuff procedure-wise if possible. I had a hard enough time setting up firewall rules so another computer on my home network could even see the server machine. Thanks.

#2 P4Jen

P4Jen

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:15 PM

Hi,

I suggest you leave your database (db.*) files on the SSD, as this will make retrieval of metadata from disk faster.

Instructions for moving depots are located here:
  https://community.pe.../s/article/2559

There is no problem putting the database and depot files (P4ROOT) in a location other than the default.
However you are limited by the performance of your drive.

Hope this helps,
Jen.

#3 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:11 PM

View PostdamageINC, on 09 September 2019 - 03:35 AM, said:

I started reading up on creating alternate depots with the Admin tool but this seems like it's more difficult and potentially complex situation.

Nah, creating new depots is super simple compared to configuring firewall rules.  :)  You can also very easily relocate your existing depot.  Every depot has a "Map" that is just "where do these files live"; by default it's a relative path under the server root, but you can change it to an absolute path and make the depot live wherever you want, including on another drive.  This is literally as easy as typing in a path and moving a folder.

The KB article Jen linked goes into detail on a few different approaches that you might take in different situations, but here's the tl;dr:
1) Run "p4 depot DEPOTNAME".  Change the Map: field from "DEPOTNAME/..." to "D:\Perforce\DEPOTNAME\..." or wherever you want the files to live.  Now the server will look for those depot files in that location.
2) Move your depot folder from "C:\Program Files\Perforce\p4root\DEPOTNAME" or wherever it currently is to the new place.   Now the depot files are in the place where the server is going to look for them.
3) If you want to make sure it worked, run "p4 verify -q //DEPOTNAME/...".  This is something you probably want to be doing on a regular basis anyway to make sure that all your files are safe and sound, but it's an extra good idea to do it after you've moved things around, since you want to find out right away if you accidentally did a typo or something.  If you don't get any errors back from that, everything is where the server expects it to be!

TBH if you're running a server for just yourself, installing the whole thing to a slower disk is probably fine too.  For a shared server you want I/O to be as fast as possible since it's the main limiter on performance, but if only one person is accessing the server at any given time, meh.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users