6 replies to this topic

#1 roberteker

roberteker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:01 AM

Here's my step by step:
  • Create a new depot on the server (p4 depot somename)
  • Create a new workspace on the client (using p4v, choosing a local folder and matching depot)
  • Add files from local folder to server (using p4v, in the workspace tab, select all and then choosing add and submit)
This seems straight forward, but results in "file(s) not in client view".

Is this not the correct procedure to add new projects to a server? Am I missing a step?

We tested this on a fresh Perforce install. First created depot adds the local files, but the second created depot generates the error message.

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:18 PM

The error message means that the files you tried to add aren't part of the workspace you created.

If your files are in the path:

C:\MyAwesomeFiles

and you want to put them in the server path:

//MyAwesomeDepot/...

then your workspace should look something like:

Client: MyAwesomeClient
Root: C:\MyAwesomeFiles
View:
	//MyAwesomeDepot/... //MyAwesomeClient/...

Take a look at your client spec now.  Does your View instead look like this?  (This is the default way it'll be set up if you don't edit the View when you create the client.)

View:
	//MyAwesomeDepot/... //MyAwesomeClient/MyAwesomeDepot/...

If that's the case, then your client view only contains the path:

C:\MyAwesomeFiles\MyAwesomeDepot

and that's the only place you'll be able to add files from.  If you want to change that, change the View to remove the extra "MyAwesomeDepot" from the client path.

#3 roberteker

roberteker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:06 PM

But look at my steps. I did nothing more than that, all through the P4V graphical interface.

Can you spot anywhere I did something wrong, or are you telling me that the graphical interface doesn't work?

#4 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:32 PM

I can't actually see the workspace that you created here:

Create a new workspace on the client (using p4v, choosing a local folder and matching depot)

so I can't say for certain that the View wasn't set up in such a way as to map the local folder the way you want, but that's my best guess.  Feel free to post more information if you want a shorter and more definite answer, but I did my best to give you enough information that you can debug it on your own if you aren't comfortable sharing your client spec.  :)

are you telling me that the graphical interface doesn't work?

My recollection is that P4V tries to hide the concept of a View from you when you first set up a workspace, so it's possible that it's making this harder than it needs to be, but I almost never used P4V so I hesitate to speculate there.  If it does try to start you in some kind of "easy mode" I was pretty sure there was some way you can switch over to a mode where it's possible to just edit the workspace normally and take the "/depot" out of the client side of the view.  If in doubt, open a terminal and run "p4 client".

Note that the other solution (assuming I'm right about the View thing) is to just create a folder in your client root called "MyAwesomeDepot" and move your files in there (i.e. bring the files into your client view, rather than expanding your client view to include your files).

#5 Matt Janulewicz

Matt Janulewicz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:04 PM

Is it possible your workspace root already had stuff in it? Or did the creation of the workspace create and empty directory?

Something in there is unexpected and likely outside the scope of the client view.
-Matt Janulewicz
Staff SCM Engineer, Perforce Administrator
Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
1275 Market St.
San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
majanu@dolby.com

#6 roberteker

roberteker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:30 AM

It feels as I've been around this block once before:

https://forums.perfo...single-project/

But this time, we created a new server, and explicitly made sure we didn't add anything to the default "depot" and then created the new depots through the GUI as detailed in the first post (really few steps, nothing to it).

And yet, apparently I need to go into command line files and mess around again, but nobody here has any interest in that, because the GUI doesn't seem to care about what the command line does, and we must get the GUI working. I can't believe this is considered professional software in 2019... (but then again, making the software obtuse and convoluted is how you make money by selling support plans, I guess).

Is there a video online of someone installing a new Perforce server and then creating two different depots and adding files to both of them using only the GUI?

If not, is there a way to pay for a one time remote support session to set up servers properly?

#7 roberteker

roberteker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 02:11 PM

Ok, after I had e-mailed some support addresses, suddenly it clicked.

All the command line tips I've received really seem to only work if you want to use the command line. If you want to use the GUI, no amount of tweaks using command line has any effect.

What did have effect, was to point the workspace root to the Unreal Projects folder, regardless of what project you want to create a workspace for!

This is a source of confusion, because once you see the P4V client view you now see ALL of the projects instead of just the one you want to work on (hence why I previously thought this was wrong).

So, a user now has to always search for his current project, and expand those folders and add files from there, rather than only ever seeing their current project that's the only thing that's really relevant for the current workspace...

Usability took a hit (no surprise there), but at least it works now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users