Easist way to see which files were updated on Get (Latest) Revision?

question revision

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BJS

BJS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:43 AM

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and new to Perforce and P4V and still trying to find my way and good practice workflows.

When I have a workspace in which I select all folders I'm interested in and then right-click "Get Latest Revision" the log-console will - after performing the action - tell me how many files have been updated.
This, however, is only partially useful for me.

How do I most easily find out which files where updated?

The ideas behind this is: When I log into the system I "update" the whole code-base worked on by other team members in my absence and I want to get a quick overview of where things did change.

#2 p4Brent

p4Brent

Staff Moderator

• Staff Moderators
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 07:37 PM

Try Edit-->Preferences-->Logging and then check the box that says "Show p4 command output for file operations" and see if that give you what you're looking for.

#3 BJS

BJS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:19 AM

Thanks, that helped.

Is there an easy way to then see in a type of Diff what changes have been made?

I know I can individually go through all the mentioned files and do a revision-diff or history on them, but I'm looking for the most convenient workflow to streamline my daily routine of

- Getting into work (remotely) and updating all my workspace (Currently selecting all folders and "Get Latest Revision" them.)
- Having a quick glance on what changes have been made while I was away

Suggestions welcome.

#4 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 02:30 PM

Look at the "submitted changes" tab.  The changes are ordered chronologically so it's easy to just scan back through the period of time since you last looked.  You can filter it to a specific folder if there's only a certain part of the depot you care about.

#5 BJS

BJS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 02:37 PM

View PostSambwise, on 02 October 2019 - 02:30 PM, said:

Look at the "submitted changes" tab.  The changes are ordered chronologically so it's easy to just scan back through the period of time since you last looked.  You can filter it to a specific folder if there's only a certain part of the depot you care about.

Yes, but that only gives me the information on a per-file basis plus the comments entered with the change-list. What I am after is a quick diff-view for all changed files without the need of individually clicking each changed file for a "Diff against" call.
I think I was hoping for a kind of "preview/change" window that would just update when a different file is selected. Does something like that exist?

#6 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 02:40 PM

Folder Diff, maybe?  You can use that to diff an entire folder in between two arbitrary points in time, and drill down to individual files if you want to.

#7 Matt Janulewicz

Matt Janulewicz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:44 PM

The criminally underused P4V Dashboard tab can help with this, too. For a given folder (you can drag it down to the "Workspace folder:" field) it will tell you how many files are not synced to #head, and list the changes that encompass all those files. You can diff them from there but there isn't a comprehensive 'narrative' style diff for that window, but command+D (on a Mac, probably ctrl+D on Windows) will diff against #have on a selected file.
-Matt Janulewicz
Staff SCM Engineer, Perforce Administrator
Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
1275 Market St.
San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
majanu@dolby.com

#8 BJS

BJS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:32 AM

View PostMatt Janulewicz, on 07 October 2019 - 11:44 PM, said:

The criminally underused P4V Dashboard tab can help with this, too. For a given folder (you can drag it down to the "Workspace folder:" field) it will tell you how many files are not synced to #head, and list the changes that encompass all those files. You can diff them from there but there isn't a comprehensive 'narrative' style diff for that window, but command+D (on a Mac, probably ctrl+D on Windows) will diff against #have on a selected file.

Thanks, that's indeed a nice functionality I didn't know. Of course it only helps if you do it before updating your code. The other problem (for me) with it is, that I can do it on a root-folder or any folder, but I can not select multiple folders and do it on all of them. Still a useful trick to know.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: question, revision

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users