Is p4vs supposed to work with VS CMake projects?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelK

MichaelK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 02:15 AM

Hello. Is p4vs supposed to work with Visual Studio CMake projects? Or open folder projects? The check out dialog pops up when I start to change a file but right click menu Perforce choices are missing. So it kind of works but strange.

#2 p4bill

p4bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 03:27 PM

P4VS uses the IVsSccSolution Interface to interact with items in the Solution Explorer (icon glpyhs, context menus, toolbar buttons) so the project structure needs to be under a solution and in solution view (not folder view) in order for those features to be functional. Unfortunately, this is not the case with CMake projects. You can get some of that functionality, per file by opening the file in the editor. With a particular file having focus on its tab, related context menu items can be accessed by clicking on the tab, and appropriate toolbar buttons should be active.

#3 MichaelK

MichaelK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 04:04 PM

Thanks. That is what I was afraid of. Your Perforce and workspaces are file oriented and your P4VS is Microsoft Visual Studio solution oriented. So instead of monitoring the file system and be able to handle virtually any text editor with very simple hooks you rely on a third party that eventually may stop working (just the case we have). Is there a chance you rethink your approach and make something like P4V or P4VS monitor the file system and use the IDE like an auxiliary helper? The Visual Studio projects/solutions go from bad to worse with each release. At least projects/solutions for Linux builds still do not work normally after almost a year of development while CMake Visual Studio projects just do their job. So, rethinking the P4VS concept may appear to be a good investment.

#4 p4bill

p4bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 06:58 PM

It is unlikely that P4VS will be changed to implement a file system watcher, but there have been requests for a new application that uses a combination of a file system watcher and the reconcile command. I'll add your name to that request.

P4VS should be able to handle CMake projects or open folder projects. I'll log a bug for that issue. There should be another interface to allow better interaction with those project types.

#5 MichaelK

MichaelK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:20 PM

Good. Thank you. You were very helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users